Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help!

Just recently had my 3rd discectomy on 10/14. First one was about 2005 L4-L5 second one was about 2 years ago L5-S1 and the most recent was again L5-S1. It was also a laminectomy and removal of spurs and disc fragments near my spine. I recovered very well from my first two surgeries. I didn't use much pain medicine at all. This one has been quite difficult. Lots of soreness near the incision and up my back. Lots of spasms. My question is after the surgery I was prescribed 40 percocet 5/325 to take every 4 hours. Also robaxin which I haven't noticed help much for the spasms. This is also a new surgeon, Unfortunately my old surgeon passed away. Well like with the previous surgeries the encouraged walking right away, which I've been doing everyday but I'd causing considerable pain the rest of the day especially at night. Well, to further worsen my case two days ago while walking I tripped and fell. I'm just about out of the percocet and I called the office to make an appointment and told them everything. They told me after the initial prescription they are done and advise me to go to my family doctor for more pain medication. They were also quite rude, made me feel uncomfortable like I'm a drug seeker. I also felt like the 5/325 was kind of a low dose and had me a little worried about the acetaminophen. So I have an appointment on Tuesday with my family doctor and I was wondering if there is a way I should go about it to get a refill because now I'm nervous because of how the other office treated me. Also how do I bring up a higher dose or stronger medicine? I'm not chasing drugs. I just don't want to be in this pain all the time while I'm recovering and get recovered asap. Thanks for any help in advance!

• DirkDDirk Posts: 3
    edited 10/25/2013 - 10:05 PM
    Sorry it looks like I created this post twice.
  • Dirk,
    If your family doctor is someone you know and trust and your doctor feels the same towards you, there shouldn' be a problem discussing your pain meds and maybe upping them or increasing their frequency. I did this a few years ago and went from the 5/325 to 10/325 and got much needed relief. The problem might be if your doctor really doesn't know you and you ask for a higher dose. Just by knowing the difference between 5/325 and 10/325 might be a red flag and this doctor might consider you a drug seeker. In this day and age, the more informed a patient is about narcotics, the more suspicion is created for the doctor.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • jmhar68jjmhar68 Posts: 60
    edited 10/26/2013 - 6:23 AM
    I had the exact same problem. Don't listen to these people talking about drug seeking. You just had surgery and are completely justified to have pain relief. I cannot believe people even mention the words "drug seeking" to someone who had surgery less than two weeks ago. Geez people...wake up!
  • on my nervesoon my nerves Posts: 116
    edited 10/26/2013 - 8:51 AM
    After my microdisectomy in June when my Vicodin 10/325 was done my Dr switched me to 5/325 and almost immediately I felt worse. Since then I have reherniated and am supposed to have my second inject on Tuesday. I think that you need to find a dr that you are comfortable with and is sympathetic to your pain and realizes you are not a drug chased. It really starts to mess with your head if you let it. Best of luck.
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 10/28/2013 - 4:55 PM
    My family doctor is one who is in charge of my pain pills for chronic pain but since my total knee replacement 9 weeks ago my orthopedist has been doing refills. I cant believe after surgery they released you 2 weeks later. Did he release you to go back to work or give any instructions on PT or restrictions. No surgeon should just leave you hanging 2 weeks after operating on you. You need to talk to your family doctor and let them know how you were treated and get your refills. I have never felt guilty about asking for relief after surgery. Everyone is different in how long it takes them to stop pain meds after surgery. Some of my 13 surgeries I took meds for as little as a few days and my last thoracic spine surgery that failed left me on meds since 18 months ago. That surgeon should be reported !!!!! I hope you get the help you need.

• Yea, get used to being treated like a street heroin addict, despite legitimate medical necessity and private pay insurance. Most (not all) MD's, office staff, and pharmacists in Los Angeles are afraid of their own shadow, which speaks of law enforcement pressure, not necessarily patient care. I see it twice per month. Disgusting.
    Circumvent this disparate treatment using a pain management doctor/clinic with Rx services.