Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lidoderm patch vs. new generic lidocaine patch

Has anyone else tried the new generic lidocaine patch for lumbar herniation/nerve pain down L5-S1? I have been using Lidoderm and switched to the generic. I am not sure it is working properly. I have greater difficulty getting to sleep due to sacral/S1 pain and numbness. It is also hard to remove from the package and from the backing. Thank you.
humanshishkabob
advertisement

Comments

• I use lidoderm patches and I love them I just don't love the price. I have never been given the option for generic. I would love to hear if anyone else has used generic with a great outcome.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,056
    to the generic brand. Under my insurance, 90 pads costs me $10. Using the original patch, the cost was over $55 for the same number of pads.

The generic pads.... They are much thinner and harder to peel off the pad, plus its very hard to place them. The bend so easy and stick to itself, placement is not easy. BUT, the stay put. One of my major complaints regarding the original pads, was that they never stayed on that long. These DO..

In terms of pain relief, I have not noticed any difference.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Summi1408SSummi1408 Posts: 176
    edited 11/19/2013 - 7:53 AM
    I have a problem keeping the lidoderm patches and have to tape them on every where. Next time I get prescription filled will ask for generic and give them a try since it would save so much money.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • I do not think the generic is as effective as the name brand. Also the duration of relief after removal seems much shorter with the generic. I also agree they are much harder to remove from the package and get in place.
  • I, too got the new generic lidocaine patches. They are very difficult to get out of the package and are hard to place because they are very sticky. I asked my physician to prescribe the name brand patches as it's not a savings for me if I can't get them placed right and I don't think they work as well either. Maybe if more companies manufacture the generics, maybe some generics will be better than others.
  • martyjommartyjo Posts: 57
    edited 01/13/2014 - 10:34 AM
    Yes, I've had both. I think the non-generic are better. The generic are flimsy but cheaper. Try keeping them in a cool area as it makes them less sticky. Also cut them in half to be able to place where you want. Cut before you open package. Less sticky Hope this helps
  • thanks everyone for the information on these pain patches, i am going to see my dr friday and i was going to ask if there was such a med. my mother was on a morphine patch for her caner i didn't know there were others for other problems. thanls.
  • humanshishkabobhhumanshishkabob Posts: 65
    edited 01/28/2014 - 7:12 PM
    My insurance stopped paying for Lidoderm brand patches and due to a denial, I am on the generic now. I am not sleeping because they don't work. They are cheap and the FDA approved them without doing clinical trials. I am hoping to appeal after I do another trial but the pain is bad and it is hard to get to sleep and stay asleep. I was doing better and now the shovels are back in my L5 S1 nerve. This stinks.
    humanshishkabob
  • i have used both; the lidoderm patches are, for me, far better. The medication lasts longer, they stay on even when getting dressed, the ends and sides don't curl up and they are more easily removed from the backing. I never apply lotion prior to applying the patch, and make certain my skin is dry. It's possible that if you have oily skin, you might have more success with the either patch if you wipe or wash the area before you apply the patch. One of my doctors said she has had many patients complain about the generic 'equivalent'. For me, the generics are substandard.
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 03/29/2014 - 8:17 PM
    I looked it up online, but didn't find the "purpose" of it. I assume it's supposed to help somehow. Do you put it on an area where you have pain, & it numbs it? Is it something you could talk to your dr about without fear of being red flagged, or does it fall somewhere on the narc scale?
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • patches contain lidocaine, which is a topical numbing agent. They can be worn for up to 12 hours per day, before they must be removed. Many people find them helpful- they deliver the medication through the skin, into the tissue , similar in action to fentanyl patches.
  • CornhuskerCCornhusker Posts: 3
    edited 04/14/2014 - 10:41 AM
    Has anyone else used it? It is flimsy, curls at ends, and the numbness does not last as long after removing it as Lidoderm does.
    Thea
  • It uses absorption to infuse lidocaine through the skin to relieve pain. I find them only minimally effective, but on a bad day, I'll put one on anyway
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • I've used the patches for a bit for my torn labrum then continued to use them on my l5-s1 area. I don't think I got a lot of relief from them. Best thing I got was a script for Gabapentin. I used it pretty much only for sleeping, defenitely does the job. I take it a cpl hours before bed time and I sleep great. If I forget, I'm pretty much up all night with leg tingling or Restless leg. Recently had TLIF surgery and haven't had to use the Gaba much at all, patches- I don't even think about.
  • Lidoderm name brand patches are put out by Endo Pharmaceuticals, Watson generic patches had the market for 6 months. I have spoken with Endo and they have just come out with a generic. For those who are not getting relief from the Watson that they did with name brand, maybe can switch to the Endo generic. Just a thought!
  • Hi, I have a fusion L2-S1. Two separate surgeries 2010 and 2012. I've used the patches for years now. The cost is not an issue for me as I have insurance which pay for them but the generic version is what they want me to take and so I have scripts for both and alternate them and pay the difference. I think the generic work although they are flimsy and don't adhere as well and so they fall off or the edges separate. I wish they had a stronger strength so I could use them more than my pain medication which is hydocodone 7.5 / 325. I use 2 pills a day or more if I have an issue plus I add Aleve and Flexoril. Hope this helps.
  • Has any one come across the latest Endo Patch in its package?
  • Personally I am not happy with the generic. They are flimsy, hard to cut and peel and they do NOT stay in place. They are sticky to your fingers and themselves but not to your vital pain area. They are not as effective either. The relief does not last near as long. I used to pay $40 for a box of name brand. Then $10 for generic. I requested name brand on my prescription and now it will cost me $138 for name brand!!! Talk about an insurance scam! I have a ruptured disc between L5 and S1. I am so furious but powerless at the same time. Either Watson needs to improve the quality or insurance needs to cover the name brand in a better manner when specifically prescribed. Also, a previous post mentioned getting them back into the package after you trim what you need is difficult. Well, let me tell you it is nearly impossible. The sticky sides adhere to the inner package and the package itself is of a different material that will not hold a fold/crease to keep the patch fresh. I have to struggle and then still put it in a zip lock freezer baggie. Any help or circumvention that anyone can share that has worked?
    L5-S1 disc is blown out. Hole in side leaks fluid. Ouch!! Hit and run victim. Nice huh......
  • My doc prescribed these patches several years ago and they were/have been a miracle for me! However now that I'm on Medicare and have a Medicare advantage plan administered through Humana from my retirement, they are refusing coverage because back pain and fibromyalgia, pinched nerve pain are not listed as indications for these patches - that they are only approved for the pain after shingles. Do you have any suggestions how to convince them that they work for back pain and for fibromyalgia? Or of any help available to get them? I use name brand.
    nana210
  • http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

You can ask yo ur doctor to file an appeal with your insurance or go to the manufacturer's website and apply for their programs for medications for low cost or under insured people
  • I've used the lidoderm patches for years and liked them. The Watson generic are worthless, but I haven't seen the endo generic.. But these aren't narcotic patches like morphine or fentanyl, they just apply lidocaine through the skin. The brand name patches are surprisingly effective.
  • I have been struggling with the insurance also wanting me to switch due to costs; However, the Lidocaine patch makes me itch and leaves welps on me when I take them off. The glue is too much or different in some way. I also break out with certain bandaids. The Lidoderm patches don't effect me as much and they do seem to work longer. I'm in the process of appealing the insurance Co now.
  • FYI, Endo Pharma developed Lidoderm 5% Patches, but they only distributed them. They were manufactured by a company in Japan (Teikoku Seiyaku Co., Ltd., I believe -- I don't have an original patch with me).
    Endo Pharma acquired Qualitest (generic pharmaceutical company) a couple of years ago, and Qualitest is now distributing what appears to me to be the same exact patch as the brand name patch by Endo/Lidoderm. If you look at a box or packet of lidoderm 5% distributed by Qualitest, you will it is manufactured by the same company in Japan, Teikoku Seiyaku Co., Ltd.
    So you might want to try getting the generic lidoderm made by Qualitest. I got it from RiteAid (in NJ).
  • I have used the brand name patch for several years sussessfully. I would use for two or three consecutive days and then be able to go for 10 to 14 days patch-free without pain. My insurance has since changed and my benefit includes generic only. Its just too expensive to use the brand name now. The generic patch is terrible. First its hard to get off of the plastic. The whole patch is all gooey, even when I finally get it on my back after having it stick to itself...the medication seeps through the patch and gets on my underclothes. It does not relieve pain anywhere near the relief I got from the brand patch.
  • humanshishkabob said:
    Has anyone else tried the new generic lidocaine patch for lumbar herniation/nerve pain down L5-S1? I have been using Lidoderm and switched to the generic. I am not sure it is working properly. I have greater difficulty getting to sleep due to sacral/S1 pain and numbness. It is also hard to remove from the package and from the backing. Thank you.
    The new lidocaine patch by watson is not near asgood as the ooriginal endo patch. Adhesive is poor and the patch does not stay in place long enough to transfer the 5% lidocaine rendering int useless. If you perspire you can guarantee the watson patch will fall off. Stick with endo until watson gives them permission to utilize their adhesive.
  • kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
    edited 04/17/2015 - 9:33 AM
    My insurance co won't pay for the lidoderm patches so I pay out of pocket. I usually find some coupons online which brings the price down but they are still expensive. As I recently jumped off of all narcotics, the patches are my "go to." Too bad the generics are so inferior. kathy
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 04/18/2015 - 6:54 PM
    I have a compounded prescription topical cream. I have the one commonly called Ketamine cream. Doctors prescribe how much of what meds to mix into the cream 'base'. One of my ingredients is lidocaine. It's covered by my insurance & delivered to my door. Maybe you could discuss a compounded cream with your doctor, what kind of meds you do & don't want in it. You might be able to come-up with a mix that helps you long term. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I found the name brand to stick better to my skin and not so much to the film. Cutting them before applying helps then bend better so they don't wrinkle. My pharmacist told me he gets more people saying the generic sticks better. Me, I apply them and as soon as I move or sit or stand they plain old fall off.
    That said, medicare will no longer cover either one as their stated use is for shingles neuralgia only. They cost a lot more than $55 cash, that's for sure and drug manufacturers cannot discount drugs for people on medicare. This is a shame because they work so well for muscle pain of many tpes and some joint pain. Just about the only thing that helps like nothing else for tmd from dystonia, Does wonders for my knee that is close to being replaced and does wonders for my arthritic hands as well as muscle spasms all down my back - none of which is listed by any manufacturer as something the lidocaine patches is for. Even though they work better than any muscle relaxer I have tried and have shown me any adverse side effect. Just remember to take them off before you shower. ICK.
  • I used to use the patch and thought they were GREAT...... then my husband had this cream he used to order from a neighbor and I think it worked better. But then my mom was telling me about this cream, OVER THE COUNTER and boy is it GOOD stuff. I think it works better than the patch, but to each there own, it's called "TIGER BALM" It's a pain relieving ointment, extra strength, and literally you only need a tiny bit. My mom brought me a bottle and it's only about 0.63 oz, so VERY small, but it works!!!! A lot cheaper than the patch and you don't need any prior auth's to get it, lol!
  • I use the generic lidodern patches by qualitest and for me they work just as good as the original lidodern patches. . They stick better as well.. Hopefully I can stop using anything after my steroid injection in four weeks..
    L5 disc bulge/spinal stenosis /grade 1 anterolisthesis/L5 pars defect..
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.