Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So Tired After Surgery- No energy !

I am now 11 weeks post-op from my lumbar spine surgery and still soooo VERY TIRED.

No anemia, blood tests are fine, oh but sooooo tired and having major lack of energy.

At that 2:00-3:00 ish hours in the afternoon, you could push me down with a feather and I have to rest.

Is this normal and does anyone else feel this way post-op????

Thanks and hugs from my heart

• Mama-SchueMMama-Schue Posts: 337
    edited 10/28/2013 - 8:35 AM
    I have the same thing. It might be because we are awake until midnight? Our bodies just need a little extra rest to help them heal. Could be meds but I know you aren't on much.

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • As you said maybe our bodies are healing and it takes alot out of us.

• Then I am more tired the following day.

But it wasn't lije I ran a marathon or anything like that.

Just some little activity like shopping or going out to lunch etc.... then I am wiped out the next day
  • on my nervesoon my nerves Posts: 116
    edited 10/31/2013 - 12:22 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you. I can't get much sleep during the evening because of the pain and during the day I'm exhausted. It takes a lot of energy for your body to heal so I would just go with it and sleep when you can. At least that's what I do.
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • My surgery was July 23 and I had days like that where I could barely lift my head off my pillow. It does get better. Been back at work for 2 full weeks. Not happened except for Wednesday night. I had an evening meeting. My energy disappeared after it. Last night was an early evening for me. Feeling better today. Like everything post-op, it takes time.
  • patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    You have to give your body some time to heal. Spine surgeries are vey hard on the body. I remember that for 3 months after my surgeries I was always sleeping between 2 and 5 in the afternoon. I needed that sleep even if I was sleeping a good 8 hours in my recliner at night. About six months after, it turned out I was iron difficient and am still taking iron almost two years after. Your energy level should eventually get better. If not, you should go visit your GP.
  • i was 6 weeks post ALIF and i was unable to do anything for myself .i would cry at anything and for no reason and the pain OMG
    hopefully you will recover and be ok .just give it time .you have had major surgery and if your bloods are good that's a good sign .stick with it /eat well /sleep when you need too.and see how you are 6 months from now .it can take up to three YEARS to recover from a fusion .good luck
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • gerstuartggerstuart Posts: 1
    edited 04/22/2015 - 11:08 AM
    WOW, ya'll make me feel so much better. I am 3.5 weeks post op ALIF & PLIF fusion and have some days that I feel great but 2 hours later I'm beat! I can't get through a day without a nap or two. Glad I found this site!
    mg stuart
  • I had the same problem and had to take more time off from work. I've been off for 5 additional weeks and have spent that time in the gym, walking , light weights and nautilus equipment and watching my diet. I feel like a different brand new person. Using occasional aleve for muscle aches. Going back to work May 5 and am ready to run circles around my co workers. Fusion was a success and I hope I can keep up the workouts or I'm doomed.
  • what kind of workouts do you do Christiben?
    C6/7 ACDF 18th April 2015 after 8 years of mucking around pretending it was something else...