Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What next?

30 days out from getting my SCS. I can feel it but it does nothing for the pain. I talked to the rep. today and was told that it does not work for all types of pain but she can adjust it at our next meeting. It was like talking to the car salesman after you got the car. The question I have is if it does not work do they take it out?

• who is your maker Oston Science......? That is wrong, wrong wrong
  • I sent you a private message
  • Have you been back to the surgeon yet? If the scs is not reducing your pain levels by 50% at least, then you should have it taken out. Tweaking the unit after it is implanted isn't necessarily going to work since the leads become scarred in and it can make the situation worse. If it wasn't working during the trial, then the doctor never should have implanted it permanently.
    I'm sorry.
  • When I first had my implanted, I did not either get the relief I expected. I asked to see a different representative and he was able to help me, I am very happy with my device.
  • Programming and reprogramming are the most Important part of this treatment if the leads are placed in the correct place and have not migrated.
    If your rep can not get the coverage you.need do not give up ask for another programmer to try to dial you in. It is normal to have several sessions for one or more hours. One at first one more in a week or two another at three to four weeks and then a couple of times before six months. By six months you are scaring in and will have a better idea of the coverage you will have. You may also need reprogramming every six to twelve months after that. Things change. If you mess up and your lead migrated you may even need to have the leads or paddle moved and repositioned.
    Don't give up and do not take no for a answer.
    To many new untrained people are doing these now and it's hard to get dialed in right.There is no right way of doing this it's all hit and miss. There is no book saying where and how it should be. We are all different.l

Good Luck
  • 70 Falcon770 Falcon Posts: 8
    edited 11/11/2013 - 1:22 PM
    Thank you all for your enfo. I see the Doc. and the Rep on Wed. I had a SCS done back in 2002. It did not do anything for the pain so they took it out. The only reason I had it done now was they told me that they were so much better. Time will tell but not to have ANY relief is very had to take. Again thank you all.
  • Saw my Rep. today. She removed all the programs and put 9 new ones in. I will try one new one each day and see her in 2 weeks. I was told we might have to do this many more times before we find one that works. I hope so
  • John
    When your rep.sets these programs does she build them by making changes and going by the sensations you feel. A good programmer will try different things with different parts of your lead or paddle. They should find what gives you stimulation and where it gives you stimulation. One example say they are trying to get your right foot. First they would try to locate a combination of power and the different contacts on your leads that stimulate the right leg and then make adjustments to get it down your leg and into your foot.
    There is a skill to this and I have had programmers way better then others. I have found these are getting used so much now they are always training new people. There is no book or way to map out what will give you stimulation here or there. They need skill to make this work. They do have general ideas where to place the leads or paddle to effect certain areas of the body but they are not 100% because we are all a little but different.

Also I believe you said it was a St Jude unit. I have only seen one of those. What adjustments can you make on your own. With both medtronics and Boston science your remote has many adjustments they can activate for you. What changes can you make on your own using your control or remote. If you have a program that helps you maybe you can tweak it to make it better.

Stay positive in time it should help you. Every doctor and company do things different.
    Mine was turned on and programmed the day of implant and others keep them off for two weeks which makes no sense to me.
    Tonight I will try to see what your unit is like on line. I have a medtronics unit now and I am trying to get a second one implanted now because of new scar tissue causing more issues
    I did a trial with a BS unit and I hope to have it implanted. I knew the first night of the trial it was what I needed. So much of this depends on the placement and programming.
    I hope you get something out of it soon.