Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting a SCS

I have made the decision to get a SCS. I have already taken the psych eval and I am waiting for the trial. I have been doing my research as everyone has suggested and my PM dr recommends the BS model. From what I have read from all the post on here, the BS seems to be a good choice. During my research, I have only ran across one person who actually has a SCS and he has had very good results. I would like to talk to more ppl who are patients at my PM clinic but due to the HIPPA laws, my dr won't release the names of patients for me to talk to them. Any suggestions? A few questions I have is, which type Dr does the actual procedure? Is it an orthopedic surgeon or a neuro surgeon or does it matter? Assuming the trial is a success and the SCS is implanted, how does that affect one's sex life? I am 48 and still consider myself active in that area. Well when my wife is in the mood. I will keep everyone posted. I have found this forum as well as the others very helpful.

• volunteer phone where you can speak to someone about it. B S may have the same
  • Ms PixieMMs Pixie Posts: 154
    edited 11/03/2013 - 2:26 PM
    and your pain team decide that you are going ahead with the scs trial and if it is a BS, you will be set up with a BS rep and invited to their patient portal where you can chat with and call patients who have gone through this. As Terri said, Medtronics has it and probably ST Jude as well. And hang out here! Read all the old posts, start new ones with questions you might have and hang out in chat. In the scs forum we are all somewhere along this journey; waiting for trial, getting ready for the permanent device, thinking about having it done, getting a second implanted, having complications, loving it, hating it, and most of us making the most of it and living with it. We are all somewhere in the scs process. I am having my permanent BS scs implanted cervically in 3 weeks, cant wait. Can therefore not advice you about how intimate you can be with a scs implanted, but Im sure people on here have them and have sex!
    My doc has told me to be very careful with everything the first year, until paddle, battery and leads scar in. After that I can do normal things and lead my life as I wish as long as I dont compete in wrestling or skydive. Shouldnt pose a problem to my lifestyle.
    Best of luck!

Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • 64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
    edited 11/03/2013 - 11:04 PM
    I had mine implanted by the NS referred by the PM doc. He was also highly regarded by the BS rep. I am walking proof that it can restore a life. A life including incredible sex! For the first time in a very long time I am able to enjoy it without cringing at the end. Sweet contradiction is what it used to be. Now the SCS actually intensifies the experience.
    They old me to wait two weeks but for different positions it took longer o feel comfortable and I didn't want to wreck my long term success chances. Patience!

The short answer is YES!
  • Terri, Pixie and Volvo thanks for the imput. Extreme I got your email and I can truly relate to your situation. So many unknowns. Can any of you guys tell me how the SCS helps relative to neuropathy? From my right butt all the way to the tip of my right toe's are numb. After being up for a few hours the pain, burning, stabbing, stinging, on and on and on is killing me. All of my problems stem from my lumbar.
  • I am still waiting on WC to approve my SCS. I can't handle this pain much longer!
  • I know that I have mine implanted t8 to t10 and I have the sensation from that spot all the way to the tips of my toes. My legs would constantly ache, I never have that problem now. I've got the skin type burn pain on most butt area, this is still sensitive but not so bad as was without scs. I would say 50 percent relief for me is accurate but that 50 percent has changed my life. No more walker, no more constant suffering. If your a candidate, try it!