Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1 C2 fusion 24 years ago

Hello All, I originally joined in 2009 and posted in march of 2010 under username: Jo1124 but I cannot log on under that username any longer so I have a different email and was MIA for awhile. But here is my story: I am 43 will be 44 in a few weeks. When I was 19 I was in an auto accident and It was found that I had os odontoid. I had a c1 c2 fusion with my own bone from my hip. This was my original post from back in 2010

C1 C2 fusion 20 years ago now headaches

Hello, I was in an auto accident when I was 19 years old, it was found that I had os odontoid missing and needed to have fusion of c1 c2 using bone from my hip. they wired it together and I had a halo on for 4 months. Well here I am 20 years later with severe headaches and neck pain. I have been to every doctor and am not getting anywhere. Going to a pain clinic and have had 3 steroid injections into my neck and has not done anything - no relief. I am desperate, and I cannot seem to locate anybody that has had this so long ago like me. I think I may have cervicalogenic headaches? I just cannot get no relief.

So to update I have had epidural's, nerve blocks etc, the last procedure was a cervical pain stimulator about a year ago in which I got an infection and had to have it removed. I ended up having to go back to work and when I did I just totally broke down and was going to turn my resignation in, my management offered me part time so I have been struggling with this for the last year. I am taking 600 to 900 mg of Neurontin a day about 7 - 10/325 vicodan's a day and now opana er 10mg twice a day, and several soma's a day. And Xanax when I get totally stressing and need to calm down because I cry everyday.

So recently I am contemplating quitting my job after 11 years, I'm having trouble working 24 hours a week, have done this for about a year and I don't think I can do it anymore. NO I know I cannot do it anymore. I am depressed I come home from work and am on the couch for the rest of the day. I have a 13 and 8 year boys and cannot be the mother Im supposed to be.

We'll my question is that I wanted to get advise on this last CT and MRI I had:

CT cervical spine w. contrast - findings: When compared to prior examination there is increased reversal of normal cervical curve. Postsurgical changes are noted posteriorly at the c1-c2 level. There is evidence of prior fracture deformity of the dens. Nonunion is demonstrated. The bony fragment of the odontoid process is again unchanged at the level of the foramen magnum. This does not appear to be contributing to significant stenosis. No signs any new fracture or bony destruction. Dis spacing is also unchanged. The facets are normally aligned. No encroachment upon the thecal sac is identified. No bony defect are identified. There intervertebral disc spaces are maintained. The paraspinal soft tissue are unremarkable.
1. reversal of normal cervical curve more pronounced on todays exam.
2. nonunion of odontoid process. see body of report.
3. Remainder of cervical spine is unchanged.

MRI cervical results:
Findings: Susceptibility noted dorsally along the c1 through c levels from fixation hardware. Evidence of prior odontoid fracture noted. No change in cervical alignment and no marrow edema. The disc is spacing is maintained throughout. No prevertebral or dorsal ligamentous edema. There is no abnormal soft tissue or bony enhancement in the cervical spine. The cerebellar tonsils are above the foramen magnum level and the craniocervical junction appears appropriately aligned. There is no abnormal intramedullary enhancement. The cervical cord is normal in caliber, configuration and signal.

Dorsal aspect of the cord at the craniocervical junction is not well assessed for signal abnormalities and even contour given the artifact.

Multiple levels of mild facet arthrosis present.

Uncovertebral hypertrophy at c3-4 without significant narrowing.

at c4-5 small posterior disc osteophyte complex present with only mild ventral flattening of the thecal sac. There is a mild uncovertebral hypertrophy.

at c5-6 small broad disc osteophyte and mild uncovertebral hypertrophy without significant narrowing. There is mild ventral impression on the thecal sac.

at c6-7, mild posterior disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the left parasagittal region as on the prior exam with only mild ventral flattening of the thecal sac. No foraminal narrowing.

c7-T1 no significant narrowing.

no cord lesion or abnormal enhancement

Postoperative and posttraumatic findings in the upper cervical spine are unchanged the prior exam. Mid to lower cervical Discogenic changes are similar to the prior as well with mild resultant canal narrowing.

Sorry so lengthy, I need some advise. When I look at the CT vs the MRI seems one says one opinion and the other is totally different.

I have worked since I was 15 non stop and I'm going through some mentally challenging decisions, I cry everyday because of these headaches. I cannot be the mother I was at one time, I don't want to leave the house.

I am thinking of applying for Disability but I'm so terrified!! I tell myself every morning to push and keep going then I have a terrible day ( I sit and do medical billing) desk work which makes my neck and head hurt worse. I review these blogs and facebook groups and really cannot find many ppl that have had a fusion on 1 and 2. I am lucky to be alive and walking.

Going back to UPMC presby in Pittsburgh PA to see the Neurosurgeon for what he thinks, my first appointment he basically said another pain stim, which I don't want, I was so good for so many years and now the neck pain and headaches are a nightmare. I think I have occipital neuralgia plus more issues on the lower cervical levels.

Please help. Heidi

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

Ron DiLauro

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I need some advise. So tired of the Headaches and Neck pain. Dont know how much longer I can do this...