Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to reintroduce bending/lifting?? Help....

So my dr told me I cuold start lifting/holding my 15 lb baby after 2-3 weeks (im at 4 weeks now) and i still havent because im too scared to. Im thinking im going to wait until the 6 weeks when he said i could start bending/twisting/lifting more....better safe then sorry.
So, my question is for all of you who have had a microdisc or fusion or watever ( i had a microd at l4/5), how do you start bending again? I Know this sounds stupid but did you just go for it and bend and see what happens? Im so scared to! I have no intention of just bending over alot, not using my legs, like i used to and being very careless, but id love to tie my shoes and shave my legs lol...so how did yall reintroduce your bending?

• The best thing to do is see a physical therapist or other therapist to help you with this. Because of all my fusions I don't bend and all my lifting/bending is done with my legs.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    I had surgery in may and have continued to get PT which has helped immensely. I am still not supposed to lift more than 25lbs and I have learned to use my legs to squat and bend at the hip instead of using my back. All very different from how I did things before. It really will help to have someone show you what to do to make sure you are doing things correctly.
  • Thanks guys.... im totally fine with not lifting really heavy things and not bending over alot like i used to and of course squating and using my legs to bend/lift....but what about things you cant do by squating...like tying my shoes, shaving my legs, even just brushing my teeth is a slight bend to spit.... do you do things like that anymore?
  • has anyone tried the golf bend/lift, where you keep one leg straight out and one leg on the ground while picking something off the floor? my PT before surgery had me doing this and ive always heard its safe for ur back....
  • i cant wait to go to PT.... i was suppose to go at 6 weeks after my checkup but my dr will be out of town until ill be at 8 weeks so i have to wait till then =/
    I purchased a shower stool online and this helped with shaving. I was taught the bend where your back leg is straight and you bend from the hips to get something low. My physical therapy was not started until at least two months out because my surgeon wanted me to start so simple stretches on my own but I thought the PT was a better idea.
    Brushing teeth yes I guess I did bend slightly and shoes if you are sitting and put you feet on a low stool or cross one leg over the other so you don't bend from the waist, think that's what I tried. Nothing's very easy but somehow I managed.
  • Thanks Liz, ill def try those things. right now i just have my husband puttig my sock/shoes on lol and i havent shaved my legs in ...well awhile =/
    are you bending any now or am i forever not allowed to bend?
    edited 11/12/2013 - 9:46 AM
    My neurosurgeon recommended limited bending, lifting, twisting. I am not sure if this means forever or until my pain subsides. The physical therapist said its the combined effect of bending and twisting at the same time that can cause problems. Currently my leg muscles are a lot stronger from squatting down and pushing up using quadriceps. Lots of fun.
    Slip on shoes are also good for the beginning.
    Good luck and hope you heal quickly.
  • I can't wait to start PT.

I've managed to figure out putting on socks (good because it's freezing here), but tying shoes is still out of the question.
    I really hope I can shave my legs soon.... it's been far too long....
    Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
    Major Herniation - L4/L5
    Bulging Disc - L5/S1
    "no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
    MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013
  • Bought online through amazon. Braced a straight leg on a chair set in front of the one I sat on. Leaned from the hip but really didn't need to do so very much. It produced a cosmetically acceptable result.
    I agree about tying shoelaces. I have a pair of shoes with Velcro closures. Hope they hold up for the next two months.
  • My OT in the hospital told me that as long as you lay flat on your back you can bend your knees to your chest and it is safe. So you could use an electric razor while laying on the bed. You can also put your socks and shoes on that way and put clothing on. They also told me 6-8 weeks before doing any BLTing. To bad I haven't made it past 2 weeks without reherniating.

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014