Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

posterior surgery scheduled for Dec 10th

VinGVVinG Posts: 56
edited 11/12/2013 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,

I had ACDF c3-4, c5-6-7 last year. Now, after a lot of pain, I decided to have posterior fusion c4-5, c7-t1, and a "general clean-up" of the other areas. However, I am becoming a little concerned about my condition. Within the past two weeks I have lost movement in my left index finger, and my hand and arm are tingling a lot more. I am scheduled for surgery on December 10, but I wonder if It should be sooner.

I have dealt with ortho issues all my life. This is, by far, the most alarming and stressfull.
- Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012


  • Been there done that, the Posterior Surgery has helped me out A Lot, I needed the Support form the Rods. Is there anyway to get in sooner? I suppose not since you posted the date of 12/10/13.
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • To see if i need to go in sooner. Waiting for a response.
    - Vin

    3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012
  • Good Idea, VinG I would be concerned as well, especially since you are having such issues!!!
    Please keep us updated, if you have any questions about Posterior, please feel free to PM Me.

    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • So sorry to hear that you are having these problems.

    I think it was wise to let your surgeon know what you are experiencing.
    Keep us posted on how you are doing and what your surgeon decides.

    Take care
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 11/13/2013 - 12:25 AM
    I hate to hear anything when it's a cervical issue.
    From my experience you should keep the doctors informed of major changes.
    You should also be in a constant safety mode and be very careful of the things you do.
    I would not do anything unnecessary or even car rides that are not needed. Anything like a whiplash could be a large issue.
    Your new symptoms are much like I had getting closer to surgery.
    My cord was compressed pretty bad at the C 5/6/7 area. In the few weeks to get a MRI and then a week to get it read to only find out how bad it was things did progress quickly.
    The one warning I did get was if my arms were to become heavy or I could not lift them I was to go to the ER and things would get started early. I know we are all different but you sound safe right now. A few days before surgery I was driving and getting those last few things done and my arms started getting heavy very heavy. I noticed my arms were in my lap and I was really only driving with my hands. In a few mins and after I pulled off the freeway it let up and all was fine.
    I did call the doctors office and got a answering machine it was lunchtime. No calls back so I felt safe. Again the day before surgery almost the same thing did happen but for a short time. This time it felt like all the feeling left both arms. Again I called got a answering machine and while leaving a message it all returned to normal.
    The next day in the preop I brought this up and they all said why didn't you come into the ER? I said I called and no one called back so I thought I was OK.
    It was clearly pointed out I SHOULD have gone to the ER. Well it worked out OK but if one or both arm become hard to move or lose feeling go to the ER where your surgery is going to be done. They may just shoot you up with steroids and reduce any swelling or do the surgery right then. It's a fine line and you should be worried. If a finger or a place on your arm gets bad your probally OK when or if the arm gets involved it's time to go.
    Keep in mind what I am going to say next is not 100% perfect but I was told if one side goes bad it's probally a nerve root compression on one side of the nerve coming from the cord. If it's both arms doing the same thing it's most likely the spinal.cord and not two separate nerve roots and it's time to get checked.
    Again this isn't 100% perfect but a good idea to use for a baseline. Anytime you feel it's much worse then the surgeon knows it was it's also time to go get checked now not later.
    I am sorry you need to wait so long but most people do OK. You and only you can decide on going in to get checked out. Me with my history now I would have gone to the ER with no question. If given a second chance on what I did I would have gone to the ER and let them.decide what to do, they could just keep you there for observation.
    In refused to the cervical spine I would never again take any chances I now have major spinal.cord damage at these levels for life.Sometimes.a.simple.ice down to reduce swelling can help you for the rest of your life.
    Do not get scared just think smart if you go and nothing has to be done it's just a larger bill but if you don't go and it does do something you will pay the rest of your life for it.
    Take care and good luckluck
    PS it is not uncommon.for a posterior.surgery needed after a.anterior surgery has decompressed the cord all it can from the front and studies show the anterior approach first is the best option for a better long term result.
    One more suggestion everyone always demands things from there nurse. I always say I know your busy but when you have time can you help me with this. Try this I always get better service, well it's that or my good looks so I think it's just being nice to them that helps. Be shy and be thankful. Oh when you have to pee don't say you need help because you can't lift five pounds or more they are tired of that one LOL.

    Again Good Luck
Sign In or Register to comment.