Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cure for old mattress

Instead of throwing out old sagging mattress, is it possible to put some extra padding under the mattress to prop it up?

I have slept fine for two years on a two-year old twin mattress. For some reason I now wake up with a sore back. I'm thinking maybe the mattress has sagged

So I put extra pillow under the center of the mattress but that doesn't help.

The only things that help are to wear a compression back support belt to sleep, and to wake up often and move around a little, change position, then go back to sleep.

Most people would throw away the old mattress and buy a new expensive temper pedic mattress. I'm under the conviction that whatever a temper pedic mattress can offer, I should be able to get close by adding pillows under or on the mattress.

The problem is experimenting with sleeping position takes a long time. Is it possible to look at my sleeping position (perhaps using a second observer) and predict whether or not I would get back pain? This would allow me to adjust my bed or to buy a new bed.

• Try putting a piece of plywood between mattress and boxsprings see if that helps anyone.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 11/16/2013 - 6:02 PM
    And still have pain. I think it helps but not the " cure". Put ply wood between mattress an box springs too. Put sheet of plastic an put quilts on that an slept on that for a while...

Have a lounge chair because of the way it lays back an use that at times. I'm up an down at night ...

Have an assortment of pillows too..lol! . I just keep moving around till something works. Or I get so tired I fall asleep on which ever I'm on.
  • Laila66LLaila66 Posts: 3
    edited 11/22/2013 - 8:14 PM
    I was at my wits' end as my mattress was not supporting me, and I couodnt afford a new one.

EDIT Bought a down filled mattress topper for about $200, placed it over my old mattress, and I'm In Heaven!!! It's far more comfortable. Night and day differrence, much cheaper than a new mattress, and convenient in that you can easily bring the topper to a friends house, etc., Ito guarantee a good nights sleep, if you won't be sleeping at home.

EDIT,com has a great selection. They also sell foam and latex toppers, which are pricier, but could be right for you depending on your needs.

For my situation, just little old me on the bed, the down filled topper (comes with a washable cover) helped like a dream. It's soft and plush and cradles me, yet still gives me plenty support. No longer does my skin hurt (along with my entire back)from sleeping on a bad mattress.

Give it a try.
    Good luck!

Name of company removed, solicitation not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz (Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • DaisycreekDDaisycreek Posts: 9
    edited 06/22/2014 - 4:02 AM
    I also have a sheet of plywood under my mattress. I put there when the mattress was new. A add on pillow topper helps
This discussion has been closed.