I avoided coming here (to this forum) for fear of finding that my condition is treatable but not fixable. This is my second visit to the forum (today Nov. 11, 2013) and I am here to learn from others to see what others have done and their results.
I am a 60 year old male who is very young at heart and up to 3 years ago had been in almost perfect health his entire life. In August 2010 I experienced a problem with my left shoulder, felt like it could be a rotator cuff tear. Had an MRI on the shoulder and that did not show much of a problem in the shoulder and I was given PT, muscle relaxers, and strengthening exercises. I followed a regimen to build up my core strength (sit-ups, leg lifts, walking) but did not workout the arms for fear of making problem worse.
Feb. 2012 I had a cervical MRI done since my problem with shoulder pain persisted. They found a 3 cm mass in my Thyroid that led to surgery to remove 1/2 of my thyroid. After that operation, my shoulder pain seem to subside and I was okay until Feb 2013 when some light snow shoveling caused my shoulder to freeze up again, more pain, more suffering.
Then, in June 2013 I was starting to feel okay again and was working in the garage doing some spring cleaning and everything felt good until the next day. Then I had numbness and tingling in my left hand. This was followed by tingling in the left foot. This was entirely new set of symptoms and I sought medical advice immediately. More doctor visits and waiting for VA health care system to kick in.
A Medrol dose pack in August 2013 and condition improved until another MRI was scheduled for mid August. That MRI proved the problem was coming from C5/6 and C6/7. A conservative approach was recommending and since then I have gone through 10 PT treatments consisting of manual cervical traction and moist heating pad. Also have electrical stimulus device for shoulder muscles should they get too tight. Currently taking Lorazapam to help me sleep but have not continued with any of the recommended pain/muscle medications except Advil on occasion.
Another MRI with dye was done of the brachial/cervical region (Oct 2013) to rule out tumor and to allow Epidural shot to begin, probably by December if not sooner. X-Rays done and awaiting doctor visit. Surgery is now a distinct possibility.
60 year old male: See my Medical History tor full report on my condition, now diagnosed as Cervical Stenosis C5/C6 and C6/C7 moderate to severe.