Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bilateral foramimal stenosis

ventosmomvventosmom Posts: 2
edited 11/14/2013 - 8:30 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Having just had an MRI and learning that I have the above diagnosis, I am scared. I am 48. I have overcome a lot in life with other health issues but I am saddened to read up on this diagnosis. Is surgery the only option? I read there are laser options? I can survive without surgery right now but night times are horrible, I can't sit up or move left or right when I lay down. My ankles do hurt a lot from time to time and calves but it has been good lately. Is surgery something I should hold off on and not get treatment until I am worse? Should I just deal with it for now.

• I'm no expert so take with advice with caution but i have similar problems. I'm 46 and my stenosis used to keep me up all night and it still causes a lot of tension in my feet and ankles. For tension, baclofen works as needed. For me it does. I don't take more of it because it can make me sleepy. Just find the right amount and or break one in half. Try a pillow under your knees as you sleep on your back and a pillow between your knees as you sleep on your side. Stretch carefully. A physical therapist can help some. Just don't allow it to tighten up because it will only stay that way until you stretch. I have dealt with it for 10 miserable years and my opinion is, since it doesn't get better you should really give consideration to surgery. Waiting doesn't help as I have found out.
    Maybe an expert can respond. I wanted to keep this unanswered question at the top since it wasn't getting responses. Good luck.
  • I am also 46, recently had surgery for stenosis resukting from spondylolysthesis in lumbar spine and am thrilled with the results...I also have moderate to severe stenosis and foraminal narrowing in my cervical spine at multiple levels and my goal in life is to avoid surgery there as I don't want to be fused at so many levels! I manage with a combination of chiro, physio, and massage...I'm curious what levels your condition is at? I always found that lying down was the only time I had relief from my symptoms. I sleep with multiple pillows between my knees and lower legs, without them I'm just not comfortable! I had my lumbar symptoms for 6 years, spent a few years having steroid injections with mixed results. Some people have a lot of success with those.
  • michele lenammichele lena Posts: 21
    edited 01/05/2014 - 6:40 PM
    And there is no reason for it since I am severely disabled. I have the same, and a compressed spinal cord, disc issues on 12 levels. I kept thinking the pain was due to the arthritis on my feet, but it wakes me up and I scream in pain. Decompression surgery in my cervical spine soon. Also severely compressed on thoracic and lumbar. I started getting bad head pain, dizziness, passing out, legs giving out etc. I am scared of surgery as I am such a serious case. I lost my mate 18 months ago and I am scared how I will care for my daughter and myself. I learned as soon as I feel the pain I stretch the foot, no master how bad it hurts, cause it will just get worse. I stretch my feet many times a day and it seems to be helping.
  • jeffntatejjeffntate Posts: 58
    edited 01/13/2014 - 7:20 PM
    I have severe bilateral foraminal stenosis and severe central (spinal cord) stenosis at C4-C5, as well as moderate central stenosis and moderate foraminal stenosis at C5-C6. Surgery depends on your symptoms and neurological deficits. So far, I have mostly severe pain, though I have neurological signs such as Hoffmans', lhermitte's sign, and some right arm weakness, and surgeons are mixed on need to operate. My AP diameter at C4/C5 is 6.8 mm and compression ration (AP diameter/transverse diameter) is 0.4.
    Cervical laminectomy, facetectomy, and foraminotomy (3-6 of each) with instrumentation and cadaver fusion due to cervical spondylotic myelopathy, radiculopathy ,and spinal cord contusion - surgery done in April 2014.
This discussion has been closed.