Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed ACDF?

I'll make this as short as possible, I promise. In Dec I had a ACDF at c5/6 due to a herniation. A couple weeks after the surgery the original pain came back and has gotten so much worse over the past few months. During the time between then and now, I've done months of PT, tried just about every anti-inflammatory med, had trigger point injections, a branch block and several meds for fibromyalgia (all this because everyone thought it was muscle related, not nerve) and even had another surgery because the orthopedic surgeon thought it was frozen shoulder. So, after almost a year of constant pain and NOTHING working, the pain Dr finally sent me for another MRI. I was called this morning and she said the latest MRI was "unchanged" since the first (the first reviled the herniation. I was confused, so I emailed my Dr and she said I still had a disc herniation at c5/6. How is this even possible?? It would explain the continued and constant pain, but I thought an ACDF actually took out the herniated disc and replaced it with bone. What's the possibility of a herniation at the same level and could the surgeon have actually gotten the levels wrong? My head is spinning right now and I'm waiting on a call from the Dr.

• paininazppaininaz Posts: 5
    edited 11/14/2013 - 11:48 PM
    I had a fusion at c5-c6 in 2/2012. You are correct, they completely remove the disc and replace it with bone. In my case, the level above the fusion (c4-c5) has now herniated, is cutting into the spinal cord again, and is causing stenosis. I am having another fusion in December 2013. I have copies of my films and the written reports from the MRI so I can look at them myself and see which are the areas of concern.
  • jennafjjennaf Posts: 42
    edited 11/15/2013 - 7:58 AM
    I'm going here in a bit to pick up copies of the images. No one has called me back today and I refuse to wait around all weekend wondering what's really going on.
  • My fears have been confirmed. I got copies of the images today and there is in fact a herniation at the level that was operated on in Dec. My only thought is the fusion failed and this is the bone graft protruding. Not a happy camper. My shoulder MRI also showed a tear among several other things, which makes me mad because I had surgery in March. Everyone keeps telling me this is good news because now I know why I'm still in constant agonizing pain, but I can't help but feel very upset, another surgery was NOT what I had in mind.