Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weakness after L5S1 microdisc -

Had L5S1 microdisc 6 months ago. Surgeon said rupture was "huge". My recovery was slow, I had significant nerve pain and discomfort for the first 4-6 weeks. My complaint is that my calf muscle is still weak. When I stand one 1 foot, I can't lift my heel up more than a little bit. So I walk with a limp and my calf is always tight. My surgeon said I wouldn't need PT as long as I do my 50 sets of heel raises a day. So I'm doing the expercises, but I'm sore every day since I am working what few muscles are still connected by nerves.

Had EMG recently and surgeon said that nerve appears to be coming back and maybe another 3-6 months to go. My concern is that after 3-6 more months I may not have a full recovery of strength.

My question is this:
Is there anything that can be done to increase the chances of my nerve recovery?
Is it possible that my nerve is still decompressed, preventing nerve healing (even if I dont have pain)?
Any value in getting an MRI?

• It takes up to one year to see if the nerve will fully heals

After that its pretty much assured that you have permanent nerve damage from the nerve being severly compressed and choked too long. I. Feel am MRI is a grest idea to see if there is nerve compression somewhere .

I am surprised your doctor is not prescribing PT

i have foot drop and heel problems as you describe and PT is working on my foot and it is getting stronger and my weskness is lessening.

Hope this helps a bit