Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Meds after surgery?

I am waiting to have a laminectomy and discectomy on Dec. 12th. I can not wait. I really want to get of my meds or at least have them lowered. I am currently taking 75mcg Fentynal every 72 hours, 5/325 Percocet 2 every 4-6 hours, and amitriptyline 50 mg at night. When I went this week to refill both amitriptyline and Percocet the cost increased and I could not fill them and was without for a week and was in so much pain.

So my question is in your experience after surgery were you able to lower or discontinue your meds? I have been on most of my meds for over a year now. I am really hoping to be free of my meds they are like a ball and chain. I so want to live a normal life again!
Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13

• I am 3 weeks post op from a fusion and I'm off the pain meds. I take a muscle relaxer after PT but that's it.
    PILF of L5 S1 on October 29, 2013. Psoriatic arthritis, spondylolisthesis L5 and fractured L5 and DDD
  • I'm almost 3 weeks post op a 2 level ALIF and I am down to 1 pain killer and 1 muscle relaxer a day. I'm still taking my Neurontin 3 times a day though until my nerves calm down.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • I hope I can get off them as quickly afterwards as you guys have! Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • If you've been on heavy meds your pain tolerance will be lower so you'll probably need more. I had a 2 level fusion and laminectomy four weeks ago. I had to fly to London 11 days after surgery which gave me a bit of a setback so I'm taking one or two a day.
  • I had my fusion in July and it worked. I still have a significant amount of pain though.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • I know, I am unusual, but did nkt take pain meds before surgery and none after surgery.

It is possible to do, but its hard at times.

I wish I knew what pain is normal post- op pain and what post-op pain is signaling that something is wrong

I am no hero, allergic to all pain meds

• Took my last pain pill three weeks after a two level PLIF. By then I was only taking them once in the middle of the night, too. Don't rush it, though! I tried cutting back too soon (1.5 weeks) and it rebounded on me!