Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior Cervical Spine Fusion c4-c7

jchpackerjjchpacker Posts: 2
edited 11/16/2013 - 6:14 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello all,

I am hoping to get some feedback on what the recovery is like from anyone who had a posterior cervical fusion. I have had 2 Anterior cervical fusions. First was c5-c6 back in 2002. The results held great for about Six years and then i started having issues with the adjacent point below the fusion which I was advised could be a risk. I then had my Second Anterior cervical fusion at c6-c7. The second surgeon took out the old titanium plate and put a larger one to cover the area. My recovery was very smooth and quick but I did not have very good post op instruction - went back to daily activity quickly due to listening to my surgeon which I should not have listened. I was skeptical. The second fusion was completed almost two years ago this coming January, resulted in a non-union of the fusion which means it did not work. The bone never healed. I am now scheduled for a third however, it is going to be a posterior approach - through the upper back side of the neck.

Can anyone please offer some guidance on what the recovery was like from a posterior cervical fusion procedure? Is muscle function gone in the neck or in the upper shoulder area? How long is PT? I was told by my surgeon that he was going to keep me in the collar for two months due to my non-union from the last one.

Thank you in advance for any input!