Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After l5-S1 Fusion

Pink2lipPink2lip Posts: 123
edited 11/19/2013 - 2:37 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had chronic back pain for 10 years. I took an awful fall on ice one winter and my back was never the same. I spent the last 10 years hurting super bad, limited functioning etc. My L5-S1 collapsed and my L4 had a herniation that remained the same over a 2 year span based on my MRI.

In July of this year my surgeon completed a l5-S1 fusion and left the L4 alone. I had the tlif and afterwards I had searing pain in my left upper thigh on the outside into the center of my knee. It felt like someone punched me. I fell down the stairs a week after surgery. My hardware was fine. I did have a concussion".

The Pa at the 3 month post op told me the problems I am having the burning, punching, and tightness in my left thigh are from dermatomes.

Last week I fell again. I have a contusion the size of a grapefruit on the left thigh and raised about 2 inches. I decided not to seek medical care because there isn't much that can't be done for a contusion. I am still in a lot of pain. I feel like I am going out of my mind. They suggested doing an injection in the L4. I can't possibly do that until next year due to my work schedule. I can't afford to be off unpaid after my disability leave and i am fearful because my last epidural keept me out of work and immobile for 4 days.

Right now, i am in all kinds of pain even with applying ice, prescription pain med, lyrica and a sleep aid. I can't help but second guess what if they did both disc's instead of 1. Also, so far i am satisfied with the fusion that was already done. Just miserable right now.

I don't even know the purpose of my post. I just know people with non-spine issues don't understand.
40 year old mom
Tlif July 18

• I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through so much! Have you went for a second opinion? In May, 2013 I had an L5/S1 fusion as that was the only level suffering issues. As for the falling- is that due to your legs giving out or other reasons? I would definitely go for a second opinion, if you haven't already, and maybe see if the injection is an option or even some physical therapy for that level? They're keeping an eye on my levels above the fusion to make sure that they don't begin to show signs of stress.... so far so good. Keep your chin up, relax and consider a second opinion! :(
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13