Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sinus problems after posterior cervical surgery

This is my first post, so I hope I am doing this right.
About 25 years ago I had posterior c-1/c-2 surgery (fusion and screws) for a fracture from a car accident. I then wore a neck brace for 3 months. After I took off, I was certain that my neck and head were a little "crooked" and other people agreed. This has not changed. Every so often over the years I have experienced what seem to be toothaches and earaches, but doctors always tell me I don't have any infections with either my teeth or ears. The pain is coming several times a month now, and lasts for several days. Plus, I am getting headaches too and the pain is really awful - sometimes turning into a migraine. After reading up on my symptoms, I've come to the conclusion that the problem are sinus related. Is it possible that the offset of my neck has caused my sinuses to shift over time? I am actually on pretty strong pain medication for lower back pain and sciatica (post two lumbar operations), and they don't help with this problem. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me insight on this issue.

• Also let me say welcome to spine-health. You say you are some pretty strong medications, they could be causing some of these issues. Keep in mind different medications have different side effects. For example lyrics can give you the jerks so to speak or twitching. You have to read long into the description of the meds to see all the side effects. You can have something that has been reported but it is not the most common side effect, but it will be in the long long list of side effects. Just something worth while checking out. But I would also be cleared by a ENT to see if something isn't wrong with your sinus, themselves. As to wether your issue of being crocked can cause it, not really sure. After many surgeries I like to say my head is screwed on wrong. I would suspect that you would also show signs of different muscle issues if you are crocked.
  • I had a friend that for years was being seen at the dentist for his teeth hurting, nearly pulled most of them out before they found he had broken his neck at work in an accident and went untreated for a long time, they said that this was the reason for his mouth pain and it was now inoperable, no Dr. wanted to touch it. I believe his injury was the C1-4 region.
  • uffauuffa AtlantaPosts: 1
    I have had anterior spinal fusion (C4-C6) at age 17, and have been plagued with chronic sinusitis from ages 23-35.  I never really considered a relationship until recently, they seemed so unrelated.  Yoga and personal experience has demonstrated to me a connection between sinus congestion and neck stretching. For example, in yoga, twisting the next deeply in either direction can cause for an opening of the sinuses, that can be felt in real time, if done properly.  Knowing this, It makes me wonder if the converse (reduced neck mobility) could cause for increased congestion the sinuses over time.  This is my working theory right now.   I think next stretching and related yoga may be a therapeutic methodology to help with similar spinal injuries as mine, but extreme care must be taken to consider how this may effect any one person's specific spinal injury.  
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hello uffa
    This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.
    I suggest you create a new discussion using the link below

Please click on the link for useful information

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.