Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

second neck surgery questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 12/09/2013 - 3:56 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been given an option today, of continuing my ESIs or having another fusion c5-6. I had a previous ACDF c6-7 in 2010. I have the epidurals and they help for about 6-8 weeks and then I seem to spiral down quickly. Since I only can have 3 ESI in a year I am just buying time till spring/summer. I want to hear any stories about second surgeries the good and bad. I want to be fully informed so I can be prepared. Thanks in advance!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    those follow on cervical fused surgeries were all successful. Those ACDF's FIXED the problems. My first ACDF was in the 1995 time slot , my last one was in 2000. If I had to do them over, I would without blinking an eye
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The first one help tremendously, but not all pain was gone. They told me up front that I wouldn't likely fix everything. but to have the ability to have a life outside my house, go see a movie, go to dinner with friends. It is truly the little stuff that makes a life.
    BTW how is your hip.? My neighbor had is hip done recently, and now he says he wants to go dancing. He is in his late 60s and I don't doubt he will take his wife in a couple months.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    - As long as your doctor tells you that you should have it, you feel that you should have it and your loved ones think you should have it, then Do it!]/b].

My hip... Well thats progressing, but I had a number of setback and complications taht has prevented me from being where I want to be post surgery. But I will get there. Dancing up a storm?, Well, since I've been a lousy dance to start wih, it shouldn't make any difference.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Surgery was a posterior surgery in August of this year. My own bone & a cadaver was used. I fully fused in 3 months, I was just at Surgeon yesterday for my 3 month follow up. So I'm all done & I am now starting the process of weaning off pain meds. If I still have pain, after weaning off my meds the Pain Dr. will use a different pain medication. My Pain Dr. is very good, I'm actually going to b on a patch called Clonidine witch helps with the side effects of withdrawal symptoms. Will also be given the oral medication to take as needed. I've never been thru the process of weaning off the OxyContin and Oxycodone so I'm hoping it goes smoothly.

Hope this helps you,
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Glad to hear things are going well for you. I recently had a friend wean off of Oxycontin and he said it was easier then he thought, he had been on for 7 years. He said sometimes he would get a funny dizzy feeling and he would take motion sickness meds- the non drowsy type to help him towards the end of his 'withdraw period, now he is using less powerful meds. I hope it is easy for you as well.