Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Elevating upper bodys reduce pain in sleep?

I've been sleeping ok on a firm mattress for 2 years. Then a few weeks ago started to wake up with severe back pain.
I experimented with different sleeping surface, pillows between knees, under the knees, etc. Then I saw pictures of adjustable beds, so I prop up my upper body with pillows, cushions, and it works! I think I will bite the bullet and buy a real adjustable bed.

Has anyone else have this experience? Is there an explanation why this helps? It is counter intuitive because propping up the upper body puts some weight on the spine whereas sleeping on a flat bed does not.

[herniated L5-S1]

edited 11/26/2013 - 2:19 AM
    I bought a bed that can raise either or both the head and feet. It works for me. I also switched to a medium firm mattress. I read a lot on this subject. Statistics shows this helps many people. However, we all sleep differently and what works for me may not work for you. Picking a bed can be like religion, you will find many opinions.

I don't think this is counter intuitive. Raising the feet with something under the knees changes angles that can help relax the spine so that it's natural curves are better supported. Raising the head also changes angles so that your back can be more relaxed. It is like leaning forward in a chair. For me a flat bed does not work. It causes great pain since it can cause pressure on the nerves in my back. The pressure is released when I lean forward in a chair, and a similar bend in bend helps me as well.
  • You may want to check with your insurance. Mine pays 100% of home medical equipment. So my doctor wrote an order for me to get a hospital bed. It is really the same thing as an adjustable bed. I purchased a four inch memory foam mattress topper and that made it really comfortable!
This discussion has been closed.