Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Butt/Thigh pain - 6 weeks after MicroD

sleepy20520ssleepy20520 Posts: 111
edited 11/21/2013 - 4:11 PM in Recovering from Surgery
So far ive had a rollercoaster of a recovery from my L4L5 microd. some days i thnk im gona be cured, other days i think ive def reherniated... its exhausting!

ive made every effort to take things super slow and i havent bent, lifted, twisted, nothing for 6 weeks. I am 6 weeks tomorrow and all of a sudden the past few days ive been getting major glute and thigh cramps on the right side - which is the opposite side of where my pain was prior to surgery.
ive called my dr office and they seem to think its normal because my herniation was central to left central and very large.My surgeon and his assistant (who were both in my surgery) both seemed very confident that i couldnt have reherniated because they said they didnt think there was anything left to reherniate.... not sure if thats a good thing tho. they keep teling me it was central so it could have affected either side...but i never had any symptoms before surgery on both sides, so why now?

im hoping its just a flare up....but right now im freaking out.

the odd thing about it is in addition to the bad cramping in my butt and thigh, my whole left feels tight, my knee, ankle, calf etc. and i get occasional tingles down my leg - altho those arent painful but annoying and scary! i even get these weird symptoms in the front of my leg ....

i know theres no way of knowing if ive re herniated without another MRI but im wondering if anyone had something like this happen and it went away....?

• Hi
    I am 14 eeks post op lumbar surgery and having those both sided feelings that you are having.
    I am very concerned, not in panic mode yet
    But surgeon must be concerned also because an MRI was ordered for next week

PT thinks its severe swelling and inflammation that is bringing on all of my increasing discomfort
    I would be happy if thos turn out to be the results of my MRI, I think????
    Sounds better than a re-herniation ormy CAuda equina coming back

• Hey rose, definitely keep me posted! my dr doesnt seemed worried at all, neither does his assistant ( i saw them at 2 seperate appts and both said almost the same thing - so i think thats a good sign??)
    i do remember i had this butt cramp business in both buttcheeks for a long while and i realized now that the left butt cheek is def better so maybe that is also a good sign? idk.
    i think im so frustrated because ill have a good couple of days followed by a bad couple of days....and i always freak out....im hoping its just flare ups from maybe overdoing it cuz i feel good? idk
  • I am only 1 1/2 weeks post op, so I am no where near where you are in this process, but I have been wondering.... my muscles have really atrophied from the limited mobility before and after surgery...could it be that what you are having now is muscle pain as they start to rebuild? OR can you tell for sure that is is the nerve/sciatic type pain? Just wondering what I might possibly have to look forward to.
  • hey scarredwing - well i had a follow up MRI done last week ( i am now 14.5 weeks post op). i still have some of the Right and left leg pains, mainly cramping pains in my butt and burning pains throughtout my whole leg. somedays i have pain as low as a 2, some days as high as a 6-7. on average its around a 4-5. anyways my follow up MRI with and without contrast and many xrays (flexion/extension) showed absolutely nothing. dr said he doesnt see anything showed any reason why i should have these symptoms still. no scar tissue, no disc, nothing. my disc height is still "really great" he seems to think the only logical reason left is my muscle are tight and still healing and can be inflammed pushing on the same nerve as well as slow nerve recovery. at this point i am SO glad to hear its not a reherniation but at the same time,its scary to hear that answer because its not a definite one ya know?
    i went to PT for the first time (heated pool) yesterday and i felt so good during and after....until the end of the day (when i feel the worst always) and my pain came back. right now i am only able to stand/walk for 2 hours max or i get alot of nerve pain (burning) in my legs/feet. well my 5 month old baby is really sick and because of that i havent had more than 4 hours of sleep a night in 3 nights as well as i had to take him to the dr today which was SUPER busy and i ended up beingon my feet for 4 hours! WELLLL needless to say i am HURTING now. :( i just got my baby to sleep and am now trying to rest too....but damn my leg hurts.
    anyways i digress! lol Scarredwing-i wish i could tell you what you are in for but theres no way of knowing. i know some people who felt 100% at 6 weeks and some who took a full year to get there (im sure thatll be me)....my best advice for you is this, dont always lay around , even if it hurts get up and walk around every hour. with tha tbeing said, also dont overdo it. find your happy balance and stick with it, gradually increasing. my biggest problem is this, ill spend a couple days takign it easy and ill feel great and my pain will subside. then that 3rd day i just forget and do more than i should be and BAM the pains back. its my vicous cycle. dont do it. even on those days you feel good, stick to your gradual schedule. also after 6-8 weeks (or whenver your dr says) go to PT. its awesome.
  • I am glad your MRI, etc. were all good. I already learned the hard way about feeling really good one day and overdoing it...then paying for it the next 2-3 days. I honestly cannot wait to get started with PT. But that's part of my problem...I want to rush my recovery knowing I need to just chill out (which is hard enough with 2 kids over 8...cannot imagine going through this with a baby!) Thanks for the update. :)
  • sleepy20520ssleepy20520 Posts: 111
    edited 01/23/2014 - 5:25 PM
    ya oddly enough my first day of PT i felt so good after and all day! i was so excited!!!
    well yesterday i had my 2nd day of PT and boy was i hurting. it was a diff girl then my first day, which bugs me i dont have one PT person to know my situation. they all take turns.. not a fan.
    anyways this girl didnt want to get in the pool with me cuz the salt water "makes her break out" uh ok? so i was just hoping i was doing stuff correctly. the first day i had PT i did half the time me doing excercises the other half i floated on floaties while the PT lady moved my back aruond and kinda massaged it. this time i did excercises the entire time and half way thru i was hurting so much down my leg. i told her and she said it would stop. it didnt. in fact im still hurting today from it. im def going to say something about it. i feel like that was moving way too fast!!! anyways, im praying my leg pain goes away. so frustrating.
  • Sleepy I would definitly voice your concern. Last week I had almost the same issue. They told me to do the leg press and had me doing different twisting motions during some new stretches and basically was in big time pain for two or three days. I had to tell them to back off and if they are going to "take turns" working on me they all better get on the same page
  • broken- you are definitely right. i actually came down with the flu so ive missed my past 2 appointments :( but i called today to reschedule and told one of the girls to note it because they increased me too fast.