Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSI Filing

christy75cchristy75 Posts: 3
edited 12/07/2013 - 10:24 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I'm 38 yrs old and just found out I have congenital spinal stenosis with sciatic nerve pain, Lower lumbar herniated disks, and cervical herniated disks. I worked as a custodian and maintenance worker in my early 20's and after i had my daughter 14 yrs ago i was a stay at home mom, i also have a hiatal hernia, carpol tunnel caused by the cervical herniated disks, both surgeries failed, type 2 diabetes with neuropathy, i use a walker because of balance problems from the nerve damage. I filed for SSI because i cant work. I Did a functional capacity test and it basically said i cant work my old job, and anything new without missing alot of days, this back pain is off the charts, it started last year when i lost 100lbs. This epidural shot i got yesterday feels like it made it worse. Do you think I have a chance of winning my case. Thanks.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 11/22/2013 - 12:22 AM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

Ron DiLauro

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I went on disability at 42, I am now 51. It took me 4 years to get disability, but the rules at ssdi have changed and it is my understanding they have to do cases within 6 months now. You will definitely get disability, but if you are denied and you do not have an attorney you should probably get one. Luckily I do not have diabetes, but I have a hiatal hernia and my stomach can't tolerate too many pills. I have congenital stenosis and now a compressed spinal cord, I have serious issues at 12 levels of my spine. I am wondering how much disability you will get since you have not worked for 14 years. I worked until the day I applied and was in an executive position so I do okay with my payment, which is good because my soul mate died suddenly. You are lucky if you are married because being widowed means I have no help, not financially, but physically and emotionally. Good luck to you.
  • I would get an attorney before I even filed the first time. They will file for you. They will not charge until they win your case. It takes most people years to get on disability. I am 33 and I am fortunate, I won my case the first time around. I am also having a case review in July because SS thinks I will have improved enough to go back to work. I also have bipolar disorder, anxiety issues and PTSD. As far as my back goes, I have had five open back lumbar surgeries. I am having a spinal cord stimulator trial here in the coming weeks. So, as far as improvement goes nothing has happened. I would talk to an attorney about the timespan that you have not worked. You have to have so many work credits to qualify for disability. Good luck on your journey.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I did it myself because attorneys can legally keep 1/3 of your back pay. I received almost 30g in back pay and there was no way i was giving 10g to an attorney to do something i did as a profession. Ssdi tried to throw me off right before my 50th bday. People don't realize once you get ssdi they will do everything they can to kick you off. The rules are more lax once you are 50.
  • I have had no problems staying on SSDI. They have not tried once to get me off it. I just have to go thru a typical review just like everyone else does. Depending on your situation you have a review either at 18 months, 3 years, or 7 years. My mother tried to get off SSDI when she was 52, she had to been on it for about 10 years. She just went back to work and it took them almost four years to take her off of it. The rules are no different for a 50 year or a 33 year old. If you are disabled you are disabled.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • michele lenammichele lena Posts: 21
    edited 01/05/2014 - 5:57 PM
    Social Security was the entity that informef me the rules about "substantial work" do change at 50, you may want to check into that. I have severe congenital spinal stenosis, 12 ruptured/herniated discs, compressed spinal cord, claudation, and much more. I have headaches, dizzy, passing out, unable to sit, stand, walk more than a few minutes. I was kicked off at 49. I appealed and was reinstated. I know lots of people that have lost their disability, you are very lucky if they have not attempted to kick you off, that is not the case for me and many of my disabled friends. I had a friend on a wheel chair that lost her disability after she did not respond to their redetermination letter because she was hospitalized and in rehab. Ssdi has me to the point where I am afraid to check my mail. By the way they kicked me off 2 months after my mate died, my doctors sent letters and tests protesting and ssdi threw me off anyway. My docs were furious because some pencil pusher thinks they are a doctor. Ssdi said I was exaggerating and I could work, I still have the letter. You are very lucky if they have not harassed you because in my experience they are very abusive to disabled people. I am disgusted how they treated me a severely disabled widow with a child, I can't post vulgarities here but you can guess what I would say. I did get an apology call from the local office and a letter apologizing after I filed a discrimination complaint, but the stress they put me through after I lost my mate took years off my life.
This discussion has been closed.