Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Epidural injections not for everyone

Anyone contemplating this treatment should be aware it can go awry. Several years ago I was scheduled for one, my first, for severe back problems(spondylolisthesis and associated problems). When the doctor inserted the needle, it sent my whole nervous system into shock. I told him and he asked me questions. After about 5 minutes he asked if I wanted him to withdraw the needle. Duh! I thought he had already removed it. Never did get the injection. They gave me a pain pill, and ended up taking me to the car in a wheel chair about 45 minutes later. It was awful. Things were a little better until I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and I couldn't get out of bed for the pain. My husband helped me call the doctor's emergency number and I got another doctor who was on call for that office. He said, "Oh yes, that happens some times and it will take a while to recover." The doctor who tried to give me the injection, said he had never heard of such a reaction. A physical therapist later told me my spine must have been "really hot."
It did take me two months to fully recover. I had to sleep in a big recliner we had for about 10 days as I could not get out of bed. When I awoke, I had to take two hydrocodone pills, and wait for them to take effect before I could get up. It was awful.
My primary care doc sent me to a wonderful pt specializing in back care and he got me out of my original condition. I will never have an injection like that again.
In addition, I am very circumspect about having any medical procedure or other treatment. I try to get all possible relating information and weight carefully before proceeding.
Keep it under control!

• AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 11/22/2013 - 8:24 AM
    I was wondering about how many people get benefits vs no benefit from the epidural. I have had 7 and each time I feel better for a while, then I am managing my pain with more pills stage, then back to "the life consuming pain" It really seem unfair they only allow 3 a year. Half the year I am good, the other half just waiting till I can get another, It is like I am an ESI addict, can't wait for my next fix. they won't give you anymore because it messes up your spine, mine's already messed up.
    Sorry you had such a bad experience.
  • beenthere43bbeenthere43 Posts: 2
    edited 11/22/2013 - 9:35 AM
    Necksoup: Have you ever gone to a physical therapist specializing in back problems? That gave me the best relief. Of course, I have to continue the exercises forever, I guess, but it's better than being in pain. I can't say that it would help everyone, but maybe worth a try.
    Keep it under control!
  • I have been off and on for 5 years. I do most of the exercises at home, and stretching improves my ROM, which reduced the pain when turn my head. I get graston procedures while I am there. Hurt while they are doing it but within 2 hours My muscle feel good for a week, until the pain just gets out of hand and I am only managing it by taking more pills.
    I studied a lot about natural health and medical anthropology while in college in California. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have to rely on conventional medicines. What an education I have had since having spinal pain. I even took a pharmacy tech course so I could be aware of all the consequences of my meds, and choice I have with pharmaceuticals. I still try to get by with some natural treatment and better diet-more anti inflammatory foods and spices.
    I also have aromatherapeutic massages, do yoga, walk everyday, meditate, and am exploring Tai-chi.
    Tried a lot of medical procedures that did not work so well, I really don't like the idea of having more surgery