Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone return to work after L5-S1 at active physical job ?

I had L5-S1 fusion surgery in August . My pain has been a lot worse after surgery than it ever was before . I am in my 40s and worked two very physically demanding jobs one full time and one 20+ hrs week, usually 6-7 days a week . I had to quit my 2nd job that I loved and was the goal job I was working towards and am out on ST from my first job. I am having so much pain and so far from being able to do any of the work I did before ( lots of lifting, bending, moving furniture, carrying boxes supplies etc, ) that I m really afraid of losing my full time job soon when ST runs out . I needed both incomes just to pay my bills, now I m having to borrow to cover almost half of my expenses, and looking at no income within 6 wks. My Dr wants me to start PT but I don t have the money to go.

Has anyone else been through this ? I think it may be 6 mths - 1 yr before I could try to do that kind of work again.

I m so sad about the possibility of losing everything I ve worked so hard for ! I miss my work, I was well on my way to doing something I really enjoyed and was good at ! I really miss my friends at work . It s hard knowing I may not get to be around them anymore.

I was just wondering how other people are dealing with the financial strain and job loss ? And the emotional side of feeling alone just staying at home . I noticed after about 6 wks friends and others seemed to expect me to be back to normal and doing everything and they just have no idea how difficult this spinal surgery was or understand the recovery time it takes.

I want my life back and really wish I could ve avoided having this surgery but was in an auto accident and my spine was unstable and nerves crushed etc.

Several years ago I went through a devastating divorce and lost my house and was laid off from job about same time so was having to start over . I ve worked really hard to get back on my feet and now this. I know everyone goes through hard times. If anyone else has been through this I d appreciate any advice .

• I have the same stress. Don't worry. I can't any more change my future other than what God has planned. I have a multi level thoracic fusion December 4th and if I'm lucky I'll be back to work in 6 months. My f.m.l.h. leave is only 3 months and my company said they would give me a extra 2 but no guarantees after the 3. I have a wife and 3 kids paycheck to paycheck. I haven't even paid any of my medical bills. I really have no idea how long it's going to take to pay back. If I loose my job then what do I do about after care? What happens if I'm worse off and never work again? It's just to much stress and I can't change anything. I don't know what type of work you do but maybe ask your doctor if they can do a nerve block for the pain. That could at least let you function.
    Multi level partial laminectomy at age 19. L5s1 L4 L3. Thoracic pain started in 2001 found herniation in t8 and t9 in 2011 multi level thoracic fusion Dec 4 2013, Los fusion near future. And other thoracic pain.......
  • I m sorry we re in the same boat but glad ti know I m not alone , I have the same questions as you do and cant seem to get any straight answers anywhere .I m getting pressure to go back to work from job but I m struggling to do basic things here at home and can t imagine even doing one full days work right now much less go back full time, It s all or nothing at my workplace and I have no idea what my Dr will say at next visit. It s so scary to think about being out of work and hurt, no money, no unsurance, and how to make it until you can do some kind of job again. My job inviolves almost constant lifting bending carrying things etc so I m really afraid of messing up the fusions , And I cant bend like I used to so that would be a problem too .