Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Mo. Post Op 2 cervical fusions C5-C7 more pain

Anyone else experiencing more pain this far out from surgery? I am beginning to wonder if the two cervical fusions did me any good at all. It is discouraging when the pain seems to get worse rather than better. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who may be having similar experiences. Any suggestions of things that I absolutely should not be doing while recovering. My neurosurgeon does not want me lifting things heavier than 5 lbs. Does too much excercise or movement of shoulders,arms, hands etc. effect the amount of pain you experience? Any suggestions on how to get this pain under control would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• I everpeach, I have been off for awhile do to some issues of my own. If I am seeing this correct have you had more than one surgery? If so let me tell you something. I personally have been in 6 times, and while that doesn't really matter the why's, the interesting thing is the farther I got from the surgery the more pain I got in. For example I have woken up from surgery needing no pain medications nothing. But the nerve pain always came back. So after many attempts to figure out what is going on, then answer is nerve damage. You might ask why I did better post surgery? The answer is when they do the surgery they put so much medications directly in the area and on the nerves that it helps relieve the pain, and if you will reset the clock on the issue. As the medications wear off, the pain begins to return. Now don't get me wrong, it doesn't come back the exact same way they lead to surgery, but it comes back. So the surgery does help, but the damaged nerves have a mind of there own as to when they want to act up or not.

The bigger question is are you fused yet? If your not fused then it can still get better and is just part of your body letting you know you still have lots of healing to do. The one thing I do know they didn't really diagnose the damaged nerves till I was 2 years post surgery, as that is how long your body is still healing. Keep in mind while all visible healing is done, it is still happening on the inside. I wish I could give you a better answer as to what is going on, but the bottom line, is keep up with your doctors recommendations, don't over do it, and hopefully you will begin to feel better. Also it is getting cold outside and i know for myself this time of year is just brutal. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Thanks for posting Tamtam... I am not fused yet so hopefully things will get better. I had one cervical surgery & one lumbar surgery. The lumbar was done about 7 years ago & I still have pain from it. The cervical surgery was done the end of this past September. The nerve pain is a killer for sure. After surgery the pain that had been in my elbows & arms seemed to be gone but it has since returned=/ I was just to see an Ortho Dr. to check out my shoulders to make sure there are no spurs or tears. The x-rays showed the bone is good in the shoulders & they feel the pain is pretty much nerve pain. I go back to the neurosurgeon in February for my next check up. In the meantime pain med is my friend though I don't like being on it. Yes, winter is a brutal time of year for sure. Take care & thanks again for posting.
  • Hi everpeach. I had a double discectomy and fusion C5-C7 last Feb. Surgery was to prevent any further nerve damage. If I said no to the surgery I would eventually be paralysed. No brainer. Having said that, they gave me a low percentage going in that the nerve damage already done would correct itself. I had read great stores of people waking up and the pain was gone and they could use their hand. Not in my case. It's worse at times. I also have tingling, pins and needles, burning in my legs, feet, neck and face. Crazy! Neuropathic pain is very hard to treat. I am taking Lyrica and it does dull it. If I didn't take it I couldn't take it. I hope you start feeling better.

The surgery itself was not bad. You have to take it easy and rest, no lifting, no reaching etc.
  • Sounds like I may be experiencing what you have experienced after your surgery. Are you taking any pain med along with Lyrica? I have tried Lyrica before for my fibromyalgia, but it did not help so I discontinued its use. My system is very sensitive to meds so there is very little I can take. The nerve pain continues to get worse. I am going to try & cut back on a number of things I may be doing to aggravate the pain. It's so very hard to take it completely easy when you are type "A" personality & when I cannot sit without pain so I seem to end up standing, but it is easier to tolerate the pain while trying to keep busy & moving. Mornings are no good for me so I don't have much of a choice, but to take it easier then. I am only hanging on by God's grace. I am so thankful I have my faith in the Lord to give me hope. Without Jesus life would not be worth living. I will keep you in my prayers as the Lord brings you to rememberance. Take care & keep me posted to how you are doing & if you have found anything that helps you with the nerve pain. How did they come to the conclusion all that you are experiencing is neuropathic pain? Did you have any nerve conduction tests done after your surgery? Blessings.
  • ecmay said:
    Hi everpeach. I had a double discectomy and fusion C5-C7 last Feb. Surgery was to prevent any further nerve damage. If I said no to the surgery I would eventually be paralysed. No brainer. Having said that, they gave me a low percentage going in that the nerve damage already done would correct itself. I had read great stores of people waking up and the pain was gone and they could use their hand. Not in my case. It's worse at times. I also have tingling, pins and needles, burning in my legs, feet, neck and face. Crazy! Neuropathic pain is very hard to treat. I am taking Lyrica and it does dull it. If I didn't take it I couldn't take it. I hope you start feeling better.

The surgery itself was not bad. You have to take it easy and rest, no lifting, no reaching etc.
    This sounds exactly like me! I am a few years out of surgery and I am in more pain now than ever! burning is the worst feeling of all.
    I did not have a choice as to if I wanted the op as I would of been paralyzed if not.
    I hopethat u feel better soon though but it is a life changing situation.
advertisement