Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgical thread sticking out of back incision.

My surgeon attempted to install a Neurostimulator a little over a week ago. The install was a failure because he wasn't able to place the leads to get me 50% or more coverage of the pain. He removed the leads, sewed me back up and sent me on my way. I have a followup appointment with the surgeon in about a week.

Yesterday one of the incision sites was bothering me. This is when I discovered what appears to be about a half inch of surgical thread sticking out of the right side incision. I tried pulling, gently, on the thread but it doesn't give.

I always thought surgical thread "melted" away after a couple days or so? Why would the surgeon leave this thread just hanging out of the incision site?

• My husband also after surgery had a thread sticking out. Dr. Said it happens sometimes that they work their way out and to clip in as close to skin as we could and the rest would dissolve. He did say if it looked infected that we could also come in and he would check it out. I clipped it and it was fine.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • Extreme painEExtreme pain Posts: 11
    edited 11/23/2013 - 4:26 AM
    Thanks Summi1408! I will have the wife snip it for me. It doesn't look infected.
  • I'm not sure how long your incision is... but basically *most* of the time surgeons use "pre-threaded" needles to sew, once they are running out of thread the "tie off" and start with a new needle/thread... this knot can sometimes cause a few issues, because its more in one area to "dissolve". I have been fortunate to never have had an incision become infected, but I have had "spots" that were very slow to heal, and this is what I was told, it was probably where the "knots" were. As long as you are showing no signs of infection then I'd not worry to much about it. Call the surgical nurse on Monday and ask his/her opinion.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I had one and the visiting nurse took it out.