Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery pain and vomiting

Hi,

My husband had 360 fusion on 11/15 and is still in the horrific pain. Prescribed meds do not seem to lower ti below 8 (his alternates between 15mg and 30 mg of morpine every 2 hours plus zanaflex every 6 hours). Also, he caught a stomach bug and was vomiting yesterday.
My questions are

1. Can vomiting permanently damage something after fusion requiring immediate surgery, etc?
2. Has anyone experienced unrelenting pain post recover?
3. If yes re:pain, did you got to ER? His pain management doc is closed this weekend and the hospital and surgeon said to get in touch with pain management doctor.

Thanks!
L
advertisement

Comments

• thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 11/23/2013 - 9:06 AM
    Lina - was he on that much pain meducaton before? If he wasn't the pain medication can cause vomiting and they can give him something for it. I have not had an operation and am in Aus so u might have to wait for an answers until people wake up in the USA. Would go to the ER in Aus - but he won't feel like being moved probably. Don't know about the US.
  • Thanks. He was on lots of pain meds before the surgery but they change it around in the hospital;. The vomiting is due to stomach bug as we all have it.
  • The good thing about a fusion is you can't "re herniate" the disc. I have never been to the ER for pain along, but I've read where some ERs are helpful but most dismissive. Dehydration though is something to consider, especially since his body is already week from the surgery. One option you might have if he is still in lots of pain is call the doctor on call from his surgeon's practice and ask if he can take more pain meds safely to get him to Monday when he can see/call his pain doctor. I would NOT ever suggest taking more meds than prescribed without first clearing it with your surgeon or pain doctor.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.