Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4L5 lower back fusion

Hi,I,m steve,
I had a L4 L5 fusion on 22-10-2013,after 4 weeks it being done I am still suffering a lot of lower back pain but no sciatica.
Is this normal post op pain or is the fusion not working.
s. j. aplin

• I had an L4/5 fusion too.

I think that still having some pain after only 4 weeks is very normal.
    I am assuming that you did have sciatica before the fusion and that has gone.
    Did your surgeon give you post surgery restrictions? Are you sticking to them?

Most of us do find that if we over do it we will have pain for the first 2 or 3 months.

Fusing at the lumbar level takes quite a long time which is why most surgeons restrict what their patients do. Usually they advise against bending, lifting or twisting. (You will see people talking about no BLT, that is what they are referring to.)

No, if your pain starts to get worse, them I suggest that you contact your surgeon to let them decide if all sounds normal.

You are going to have to be very patient while your body heals and fuses.
    What things do you enjoy to pass the time while you are waiting?

Spending some time here talking to others who have walked this road before you can be very helpful.

• 9weeks after op no sciatica,but still suffering low back pain.most excruciating pain I suffer everyday is getting out of bed in mornings no matter witch way I move to get up is so painful,and can barely walk for 5 to 10 minutes.has anyone experienced this,please let me no.
    s. j. aplin
  • did you have ALIF or PLIF? ALIF tend to take longer to heal as they its a deep cut down through your abdominal cavity to get to your spine it takes about 2 years to heal and even they you may not be pain free
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014