Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need some help understanding

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone could inform me about my situation. I went in for lumbar epidural injections today and the doctor told me something that I'm having trouble understanding. He told me that the blocks at L5-S1 are basically smushed together and touching, which is pinching the nerves and causing a lot of pain. I had a microdiscectomy in January, 2013, so I'm thinking that removing that part of the disc caused the blocks around the space of the disc to come together. Has anyone else had this? Can anyone tell me the treatment options? I can't get into my neurologist for another few weeks still, so I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what is in store for me.
Thanks for reading! All replies are appreciated. :)
Lauren Davidson
advertisement

Comments

• Sounds like you could have a collapsed disc - meaning the disc has lost most if not all of its height and as a result there is no cushion in between the vertebrae at L5/S1 and nerves are being pinched. Were you ever diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and/or annular tears? Have you had a recent MRI?
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • Mn angelMMn angel Posts: 4
    edited 11/26/2013 - 6:56 PM
    I haven't returned to work after my April 2012 fusion, at that time the dr. Mentioned stenosis also. I tried working, typing and was worse after, but i was headed down that road no matter. Now my c3 went from bulge to herniation. I have had weakness down the arms, legs and neuropathy. A few weeks ago facial numbness, pain under left shoulder blade, numbness in the face. I had a spinal epidural. Plus shot in my cheek for overall pain. Scared for more surgery as before the fusion I had stenosis on c6-7 cleaned, now theres the herniation plus stenosis in 2-3 areas. Lower back also approved for fusion, didn't go forward with it, shots give me dreadful reactions, most docs want me to go back to original doc, I am scared. Symptoms of slurring, headaches, neck pain too. Shot made me ringing wet, insomnia, something traveled from my hip replacement to my feet, up to stomach, back of neck, creating a fluid lump, to my ears, forehead, eyebrows creating lumps on each, then I sat up and sinus poured out??? Anyone? 9/11/12 shot in spine 10/2012 in butt. Then I wondered if the symptoms were stroke or neck?
  • I haven't returned to work after my April 2012 fusion, at that time the dr. Mentioned stenosis also. I tried working, typing and was worse after it headed down that road no matter. Now my c3went from bulge to herniation. I have had weakness down the arms, legs and neuropathy. A few weeks ago facial numbness, pain under left shoulder blade, numbness in the face. I had a spinal epidural. Plus shot in my cheek for overall pain. Scared for more surgery as before the fusion I had stenosis on c6-7 cleaned, now theres the herniation plus stenosis in 2-3 areas. Lower back also approved for fusion, didn't go forward with it, shots give me dreadful reactions, most docs want me to go back to original doc, I am scared. Symptoms of slurring, headaches, neck pain too. Shot made me ringing wet, insomnia, something traveled from my hip replacement to my feet, up to stomach, back of neck, creating a fluid lump, to my ears, forehead, eyebrows creating lumps on each, then I sat up and sinus poured out??? Anyone? 9/11/12 shot in spine 10/2012 in butt. Then I wondered if the symptoms were stroke or neck?
    edited 11/26/2013 - 6:53 PM
    SteveT said:
    Sounds like you could have a collapsed disc - meaning the disc has lost most if not all of its height and as a result there is no cushion in between the vertebrae at L5/S1 and nerves are being pinched. Were you ever diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and/or annular tears? Have you had a recent MRI?
    edited 11/26/2013 - 6:52 PM
    I had l4 done & like you now had my injection, sounds like you have areas pinching, ask for a new mri or if the nerves could be intertwined or tangled, they figured I have pain due to this, shots relieved different nerve paths with two shots, I had a tear/fissure and other areas needing work too, let us know how it turns out, watch for reactions and swelling with the shots, I laid in bed sweating and flush for weeks.
  • LaurenBrianne said:
    Can anyone tell me the treatment options?
    hmmm...
    They can spread the vertebrates apart and install "something" in between them. This keeps the necessary spaces (foramins) open so the nerves can be free. You have a choice of what that "something" can be. For example, it can be a cage and bone (this is called a fusion) or an Artificial Disc Replacement (if you qualify and want it). It could be left alone and sometimes the two segments autofuse themselves; this is permanent.
    Unfortunately, our discs don't restore themselves or can be restored to their original optimal hight. Someday I hope, medical science will figure out how to make them do that.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
advertisement