Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New MRI Results/ need opinions and thought.

Today I received my new MRI results for my lower spine. I had a laminectomy on the lower in December 2010 and when I had an MRI a little over a year ago they said my lower spine had worsened along with my pain but they were afraid to do more surgery at that time because there was a 50% chance it might improve the pain but also 50% that it may make it worse.

Over the last year my pain and mobility issues have worsened significantly . So I thought I would summarize the report to see if any of you understand it and could give me opinions. The neurosurgeon hasn't reviewed yet so I am anxious to see what he will say. Until that time I am hoping my fellow spineys can give me some feedback. I have lost one and a half inches in height since 2010 as well. Ok here's the summary;

L4-5 S/P left hemilamineectomy. Trace retrolisthesus.
Listhesed disc encroaching upon left ventral
Dural sac and left L-5 nerve root.
Right foraminal herniation encroaching upon foraminal right
L-4 nerve root. Moderate , right narrower than left foraminal narrowing.

L-5-S1 S/P Laminectomy. Shallow posterior mixed spondylotic
Disc displacement and moderate biforaminal narrowing.

L3-4 small left pre/inferior foraminal disc protrusion and left foraminal annular rent.
Left narrower narrower than right foraminal narrowing.

L-5-S1: disc height reduction and degenerative disc vacuum phenomenon. 3mm
Retrolisthesis, Laminectomy.
Moderate facet arthropathy and hypertrophy.
Moderate facet arthropathy.
Moderate biforamonal narrowing.

Hope some of you can offer opinions and I certainly understand your opinions are in no way
Meant as medical advice but just laypersons opinions.
Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving .

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    edited 11/26/2013 - 12:47 PM
    'analyze' any diagnostic test....
    But, I always go by those major key words Mild , Moderate, Severe. They tell it all. Mild, some minor medications and PT should take care of everything. Moderate, well more medications, PT and other conservative treatments (ie ESI), Severe, well you know what that will bring.

The summary you have, was that something provided to you by the MRI technicians? Do you have previous MRI's to compare this one with? Thats what I have done most of the time, compare the current MRI with the one before that.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
    edited 11/26/2013 - 1:51 PM
    Thanks for the reply and what I do know is this is my third MRI since 2010 surgery. What I do know it has progressively worsened along with pain and mobility issues is what they have told me. What I am asking them for is there is something surgical at this point to help me. My degenerative disc disease seems to be speeding up.

I was also hoping that members may have similar problems and could give me their thoughts
    Thank you
    AL S
  • That is what my neck feels like. I made a chart with every level listed along the side and dates of MRIs listed across the top. It shows increasing DDD that does seems to making the 'cards' fall faster. I started with 2 issues at c6-7, and c7-t1 in 2009. This year I had something wrong at every level. "Increasing pain and decrease mobility" - I bet you could have give them that diagnosis prior to the MRI.
    I also write all the words I don't know and get a definition, then search the level it his happening ie "L5-S1 disc vacuum" and look for studies that mentions that. The abstract is usually only a paragraph and you may get the idea if it pertains to you.
  • I think we are in the same boat. I have DDD from top to bottom . In August 2010 my first surgery was ACDF, Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion. They used cadaver discs and titanium in my cervical spine. I have lost a inch and a half in height. Pain getting worse and my mobility too. It's a mess. I hope you are doing ok.
    AL S
  • What was really interesting about the chart is they mentioned a listhesis at my C3 that is new this year. I learned that they are the most common cause of back pain but relatively rare in the cervical region, and no one was talking about the implications of that being the cause of my increasing pain. There are 2 kinds retro (moved to the back) and anterio( to the front) when I showed them my chart and that is something new, then they started to look at things differently, they thought that it may be a non fusion at c6-7 level before, now they are looking more between c3-c6, narrowing it down. I also learned MRIs can leave you with more questions than answers.
  • I like the chart, makes sense and easy to track the changes. I am know expert but I know II am in chronic pain and where is coming from . I am a full inch and a half shorter then I use to be and more pressure on the nerve roots. I am waiting to see if the neurosurgeons have anything left to offer but I am not getting my hopes up anymore.
    Thanks for your input.
    AL S