Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think I "overdid it"

Hi! This is my first comment/question. I am 4 weeks out from TLIF L3-S1. My recovery has been a breeze! After 5 days in the hospital, I was thrilled that my pain level was 0/1 at rest and no more than a 3/4 after PT exercises. I could walk 200 yds. My surgeon and PT were very pleased. Then last week, with my surgeon's approval, I prepared to leave for Florida for 6 months (better than Buffalo, NY for recovery!). I packed for 3 days with what I thought was a leisurely pace and minimal light lifting. Then, there was the 6 hour travel day (but I had w/c service constantly and didn't lift any bags, however I did sit a lot on the 2 1/2 hour plane ride - only got up to do PT exercises twice). THEN, when I arrived in Florida, I spent 4 days with my 11 month old great goddaughter that I lifted and played with A LOT.

I am very stiff and sore now and back on Percocet. Pain can be a 7/8 with PT/walking. The worst part is, I can only walk about 35 yds. I have regressed a lot. I know many of you have had torturous rehab and recovery and my heart and prayers go out to you!! But can you find it in your hearts to give me any insight/tips/admonishments on how I can get back on track? Did I really mess up or will I start to improve again? How long?

Thanks for ANY input and good luck and good thoughts to all of you!

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Ah yes, most all of us have done it at one time or another and I am guilty of over doing it as anyone.
    It would be highly unlikely you did and permanent non-reversable damage to your spinal repair. Just take it easy, try to relax, and go at it a little slower to build your strength back up. I can guarantee you will probably never forget this little episode if you were to have another surgery in the future.
    Take care and be safe,
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 11/26/2013 - 3:11 PM
    I'm pretty sure you are NOT and again I'll say NOT suppose to be lifting an 11 month old, even a small one. That needs to stop immediately (and trust me I understand!). With that said I find I struggle after traveling period. Chances are you have not done any damage and have just inflamed an already delicate area. I' rest/walk/ice/NOTLIFT a day or two an see how it goes. If it doesn't get better then you need to call your surgeon. Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • ice ice ice
    Thats what i did when i twisted my back 12 weeks post op
    I panicked for a bit, then remembered, it was probably swelling and inflammation, so I RAN for the frozen peas.

It really helped and then my PT reminded me that EVETYONE does something stupid or over does it when we start feeling better. Its human nature.
    I think we should all write a book together.
    I think it would be on the amazon top book list ASAP.

My PT reminded me that surgeons really sew things up tightly as to prevent re-herniation.
    Their reputations are on the line and they do want to do great surgeries

So to my PT, permanent damage is pretty hard to do for silly things
    But he tokd me if you go and lift 25 pounds or more and more than once, you might "loosen" the surgical repairs and over time, if patuents still continue to do silky things, sonethings going to give out.

Some repairs need fusions and its no ones fault, its just our weakened spine.

So ICE, relax, take a deep bresth and try to rest and not over do it and i know this is very hard to do

• When you are feeling good it is hard to slow down until all the sudden it hits you, Oh yeah it has only been 4-5 weeks post op. Rest, and try to keep on top of the pain with your meds, and enjoy the baby, but maybe don't lift her so much. Maybe someone can place her in your lap for a while, or play at the table while she is in her high chair. I also see the storm is coming through parts of Florida, that could be bothering you also. Have a Happy, Restful, Holiday
  • Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 11/26/2013 - 6:16 PM
    I've not had surgery yet. But had granddaughter for a while. 4 no old an now im bout to cry. I knew better yes but have not seen her for 6 weeks. Daughter broke hip an neither of us could take care the other. But they came today an I was making up for lost time.

I guess tomorrow I let her aunt an great grand mother hold her....

I know just what you mean..
  • I will do what you say............Thanksgiving and I will let everyone else take care of her and just watch..........if she holds out her little arms to me, they will have to put her in my lap!! I will also try icing.............didn't think of that! Many thanks and have a great holiday season!