Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member with upcoming C7-T1 ACDF

Thanks for a great forum! I have followed Dilauro's recommendations below describing my condition. I am scheduled for surgery in a couple weeks for C7-T1 ant cx decompression and fusion. I injured myself back in Feb 2013 doing punching drills in karate. This mainly consisted of tingling and numbness in my R. ring/pinky. I gradually got better (so I thought). Then re-injured in Jun 2013 with a practice kiteboarding kite. That one laid me out for a week and got me to the Dr for an MRI. I started PT and it gradually got better (so I thought). In late Aug 2013, I was doing some strength training dumbell rows and laid me out for a week again and back to zero at PT. This one has stayed with me. My pain is manageable most time without meds but is still constantly there. I can only sleep on my back which causes me to snore and irritate my wife - yea! The thing that concerns the Dr's is that I have lost strength in my hand. PT Dr, pain management Dr, and neuro Dr all agree it is time for surgery.

I am looking forward to getting past this point and on the road to recovery. I used to be very active and now am only able to ride a stationary bike.

- Current condition
Cervical radiculopathy at C8
DDD (Degenerative Disk Disease) - cervical
HNP (Herniated Nucleus Pulposus) - cervical

- Medications
Ibuprofen 2x200 mg (before bed to sleep)
Oxycodone/Acetaminophen 5-325mg (when pain gets real bad or have to be off blood thinners)

- Diagnostic tests

Short version

right shoulder inferior humeral osteophyte and mild inferior joint space narrowing. Normal marrow characteristics, normal acromioheral distance. Cervical spine show narrowing of the C5-6 and C6-7 disc space with anterior syndesmophytes.

Long version

Sagittal T1 weighted, T2-weighted and STIR images along with axial GRE and T2 weighted images were
submitted for ~valuation .
C2 through T1 vertebral bodies are visualized. There are no fractures or subluxations. Normal cervical spine
curvature is maintained.
C2 -- C3 level: Small central disc osteophyte co•·:1plex. Patent spinal canal and bilateral neural foramina. Mild
facet arthropathy.
C3 ·· C4 level: Mild disc osteophyte complex. Indentation of the ventral thecal sac and the left lateral recess.
Grossly patent spinal canal. Patent right neural foramina. Left uncovertebral and facet joint hypertrophic changes
with mild-to-moderate foramina! stenosis.
C4 -- CS level: Mild diffuse disc osteophyte complex. Patent spinal canal and right neural foramina. Left
uncovertebral and facet joint hypertrophic changes with mild-to-moderate foramina! stenosis.
CS -- C6 level: Degenerative disc disease with a diffuse disc osteophyte complex that is most prominent in the
right lateral recess. Mild right-sided spinal canal stenosis. No cord compression. Bilateral uncovertebral and
facet joint hypertrophic changes with patent right neural foramina and mild left foramina! stenosis.
C6 -- C7 level: Degenerative disc disease with a diffuse disc osteophyte complex that is most prominent in the
right lateral recess. Mild right-sided spinal canal stenosis. No cord compression. Bilateral uncovertebral and
facet joint hypertrophic changes with mild bilateral foramina! stenosis.
C7 -- T1 level: Degenerative disc disease with a large diffuse disc osteophyte complex and bilobed disc extrusions
that abuts the ventral spinal cord. Mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis. No cord compression. There is a large
disc protrusion extending into the right n eur;~l foramina. A portion of the extruded disc is also seen within the left
neural foramina. Moderate right great than left foramina! stenosis.
The spinal cord and the craniocervical junction are normal in caliber and signal characteristics. Normal T2 flow
voids are seen within the visualized bilateral carotid and vertebral arteries.

1. Multilevel cervical spine spondylosis that is most prominent at C5-6 through C7-T1 levels. No fractures or
2. Large bilobed disc extrusions at C7-T1 abutting the ventral spinal cord and extending into the bilateral neural
foramina. Mild-to-moderate spinal canal stenosis. Moderate right greater than left foramina! stenosis.
3. Diffuse disc osteophyte complexes that are most prominent in the right lateral recess at C5-6 and C6-7 levels
with mild right-sided spinal canal stenosis. No cord compression. Mild bilateral C6-7 level foramina! stenosis.
4. Mild-to-moderate left C3-4 and left C4-5level foramina! stenosis. Mild left C5-6 level foramina! stenosis.

EMG - right C8 radiculopathy

- Prior surgeries
None related to this - tonsillectomy and got fixed
Two cervical epidurals - one interlaminar and one transforaminal

- Upcoming surgery (11Dec2013)
C7-T1 ant cx decompression and fusion

- Describe your current medical problems
Pain starting between neck and right shoulder extending through shoulder down tricep elbow forearm wrist terminating in ring and pinky. Tingling in ring and pinky. Weakness in hand.
C7-T1 ACDF 12Dec2013

• Sorry that you are in the position of needing an ACDF, but hopefully it will give you relief of your pain and other symptoms.

Weakness is generally a concern to the doctors and I hope that after your surgery you will regain your strength.

There is a lot of useful information on this site about spinal conditions and surgery to deal with them.
    Have you seen the thread at the top of the Back and Neck Surgery thread? It is full of useful information about items that can be helpful after surgery.

You have got time to prepare your home to make your early days of recovery easier.
    Make sure you have plenty of pillows to help get comfortable.
    Also a grabber stick is useful for when you drop things. It's amazing how often you do that when bending down is not comfortable.
    Bendy straws are helpful so you don't need to tilt your head back to drink.

Do ask any questions that you have. There are lots of members who have had this surgery and can share their experiences with you.
    I had C3/4/5 a year ago.
    Good luck on 11th December :-)
  • Come join us in the treatment forums under neck and back surgeries. Or search for December Surgery Buddies 2013. You are not alone. There are quite a few of us scheduled for December. I had an ACDF last December and it made a huge difference with the pain and numbness in my arm and hand. So I hope you too wake up feeling like a new man.
    I am having a laminectomy and discectomy 12-12. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!
    There are many great threads here and a lot of information to read. Sometimes it's just a relief knowing you are not alone and there are others who can relate. Since sometimes it's hard to talk to our friends and family who really can't relate.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • Appreciate the comments and making me feel welcome. I am definitely looking through the threads!
    C7-T1 ACDF 12Dec2013
  • DoggyDDoggy Posts: 2
    edited 09/01/2014 - 11:11 PM
    I wish I had looked at this forum years ago. I've been severe neck pain that radiate down to my arms and head constantly for over 10years. Limits what I can do even a computer job. Pain is more on L side and shifts onto R too.
    All the doctors I saw only recommended pain management. But it's not mangeabke anymore. Decide to get to the bottom of it now with neurologists.
    My recent MRI says more discs affected compared to 4years AFP. Am more worried now. Anyone had same issues and got surgery done? How is it now? Where should I start?

INDICATION: Radiculitis

COMPARISON: 9/28/2010

TECHNIQUE: MRI CERVICAL SPINE WO CONTRAST 3 Plane localizer, 3 mm sagittal
    T1, 3 mm sagittal T2, 3mm axial 2D MERGE, 2.8mm axial 3D COSMIC.

REPORT: Alignment normal. Mild discogenic endplate marrow changes. The cervical
    cord is normal in caliber and signal intensity. There is multilevel disc
    desiccation with mild loss of disc height C5-6. Early endplate osteophyte
    formation C4-5 and C5-6. Incidental mucosal thickening of the paranasal sinuses

Axial images:

C2-3: No central stenosis or neuroforaminal narrowing

C3-4: Trace disc-osteophyte complex without central stenosis. Minor
    uncovertebral joint hypertrophy with trace if any bilateral neuroforaminal

C4-5: Trace disc osteophyte complex without central stenosis. No significant
    neuroforaminal narrowing

C5-6: Minor disc-osteophyte complex without central stenosis. Uncovertebral
    joint hypertrophy with mild right and moderate left neuroforaminal narrowing.
    Mild progression.

C6-7: No significant central stenosis. Uncovertebral joint hypertrophy with
    moderate right and mild left neuroforaminal narrowing. Mild progression.

C7-T1: Trace disc-osteophyte complex No central stenosis or nerve neuroforaminal

1. Multilevel mild spondylosis with some minor progression. This results in
    varying degrees of neuroforaminal narrowing as described above.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is a very old thread, for best support and information I suggest you make a new thread in introductions, you can do this by clicking on 'create forum post' on the left column.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery