Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C4-6 on Friday

Hello, I'm new here and basically just seeking some information from anyone who has maybe been through this before. A car accident more than 1 year ago led to me facing this procedure on Friday. I am having allograft with stem cell packing and a plate, and an overnight stay in the hospital following.

I am already a chronic pain patient with other medical conditions. Acetaminophen and IV Morphine are both contraindicated in my treatment, and my biggest concern is with what type of pain relief I can expect post-op. I currently am on a q6hr regimen of Roxicodone 10mg that I've become pretty tolerant to, and the idea of having uncontrolled post-op pain scares the hell out of me. Sadly, the PA who did my pre-op appointment said "the surgeon will decide what we can give you" and I received no further information and am at a loss as to what to expect.

Is it true I will have a raspy voice and difficulty swallowing? Or does this only happen in a percentage of cases? My paperwork says I can drive 3--5 days post op, with my hard collar on, but to me this smacks of lunacy. So soon? Could this possibly be a logical choice if I "feel up" to it?

Any information, suggestions, experiences welcome, and thank you for your time. :)

• Some have no issues post-op, some do. With my first throat was very sore, couldn't sing for months, voice is a bit hoarse and the best thing for me to eat was peaches, loved canned peaches. that was my left side, with my second surgery it was on right side a little over a year later. My throat wasn't as sore, still like peaches and could sing without bad cracking in 2 weeks, softly of coarse, but overall my throat felt better, however since second surgery I developed severe obstructive sleep apnea and on the plus side, I hardly ever get a sinus cold, don't think I've had a bad cold since. When I lay on my back I can hardly talk, hard to explain, but something closes off and it is difficult to breath and talk at the same time. Dr.'s say not related, but I know differently. I have heard great things about some recoveries, some have complete success, wish I were one of them. I was told not to drive for six weeks, my surgeon was in the top 10% of the nation in his field. He's a good Dr. I was just more messed up than expected, not his fault, at least I don't want to wrap a chain around my arm and have it ripped off by a semi-truck any more....smile.
    Oh, be careful with the pain killers, I was on them three years along with nerve blockers, anti-depressants and anti-seizure meds and finally said enough was enough and went off all meds, pain won't kill me as fast as those pills would.