Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A Nervous Newbie

A nervous newbie from 'Down Under' here. I've had Chronic Regional Pain syndrome in my right wrist/arm to shoulder for four and half years after work injury. Treated with all conservative methods. Nerve blocks - injections on regular ( 6 - 8 weeks) helped reduce pain to manageable levels for basic living but cannot work. Complication is I am Deaf and use Sign Language to communicate. Tricky with limited R wrist movement and being right handed. Really tricky when trying to communicate with technicians in theatre and partly sedated!! Have only been Deaf 10 years so can speak and lip-read when working with techs in office. Am currently having trial for this week. Am a tad (read BIG TAD) nervous about wires and things in my c-spine but desperate for pain relief. Realise I will possibly have a fight with insurance if this works but prepared for that and surgeon is supportive. Other problem is I am obese so what extra problem with implanting battery packs etc. Will I feel the pack when I am sleeping? I sleep on my sides (turn over often during the night). I also travel quite a bit. What are travel restriction re air travel? These are probably really silly questions sorry.

• ICG55
    Hello and welcome to the group. This is all new to you and I can bet you had never planed on this so do not worry about asking any questions you have. There are never any silly or dumb questions when you have a question about anything..
    First your size should not be a issue. Surgery might be a few mins longer. But no problem.
    A thin person will probally feel the unit more then you because of extra protection.
    Two.days ago I had a second scs added to my lower back. I now have one on both sides just above my belt line. First unit was never a problem unless I bumped into the sharp edge of something like a table top. The new unit is painful right now just from the surgery.
    My case is very unusual.so don't worry about needing a second unit later it does happen but is rare. I had a trial for a cervical unit but at implant time It could not be done without a major surgery so we will wait until I need another cervical surgery in the future.
    The unit implanted this week has a extra port for my cervical leads later if and when done .
    These are a great tool to help with pain.control we all get different results and it doesn't work for everyone.

Your trial will.let you know what it will do for you. The trial and implant results also.depend on the placement of the leads so the doctors skill is important and then the programming is also very important.I hope your doctor and the SCS rep are.experienced for this to work well.

Travel and flying is not a issue. I have only made two long trips flying anywhere but we have members that fly all the time. Some just go through the regular metal detectors but I was told to always ask for a pat down and not use the metal detectors. .I was told after implant to stay away from electric welders because of the electrical magnetic field might effect it. Funny thing was I was taking some Junior College welding classes during the trial and had no problems at all. After talking with some electrical engineers we.found ways for me to.weld and avoid some of the EMF and just being smart about it with the welding leads.

This is a fantastic and helpful tool for many of us . Read has much has you can in this area of. the forum. There is a lot of information here both good and bad.
    If you get a trial it's going to let you know very quick if it's for you.
    Feel.free.to.contact me in a PM. If you have any question you have and of course you can ask anything on the forum too.

Good Luck