Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Side effects from myleogram

Can anyone please help?

I had a myleogram 4 weeks ago to try to diagnose a nerve problem in my left leg following a disc replacement operation earlier this year.

The thing is 4 weeks later I'm still getting headaches and have dizziness and feel light headed. It has got better over the 4 weeks as during the first week I spent 2 nights in A & E because they were very severe. Has anyone else suffered the same and has anyone any idea what I should do?

• It would be rather unusual to be having side effects this far out from the myelogram. The injection hole should have closed up by now , a month out from the myelogram. Have you discussed the ongoing headache with the doctor who performed the myelogram?
    A spinal headache is not the same as a regular headache or even a migraine type, this type of headache only occurs if you raise your head above a certain degree , or if you are standing/sitting up and eases if you change your position and release the pressure of the spinal fluid in the canal and your brain.
    Are you having the headaches only when sitting or standing up and do they ease up when you lay down again? Did you follow the post procedure instructions to the letter after it was done for the next 24 hours? Have you consulted with the doctor who ordered the procedure to make sure that there isn't an ongoing leak? Did you undergo a blood patch at the ER?
  • Hi thanks for the reply.
    Yes the headaches are worse when I'm standing and so is the light headiness and dizzyness. I didn't have a blood patch but they did mention it when I went into A & E for a short period a few days after I had it because the headaches were really really bad as well as vomiting. I've tried contacting my neurosurgeon but all I keep getting told is that it will get better with time but I really thought it wouldn't last for this long. I also tried speaking with the doctor that did the myleogram and he just passed me back to my original neurosurgeon!!!! Unfortunately I didn't rest at all following the procedure because they didn't tell me I had to:-(
    any other advice would be very welcome
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 12/02/2013 - 9:43 AM
    I don't know where you had the myelogram done, but I've had two of them and both times I was given discharge instructions and post myelogram care sheets. I would think that not giving you discharge instructions was a serious problem on the part of the facility that you had it done at.
    Usually they also recommend drinking highly caffeinated drinks- coffee, not decaf, coca cola , pepsi, not the diet or caffeine free versions but the regular ones, tea with caffeine all help to keep the headaches at bay.....