Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ANYONE HURT THEMSELVES WHILST ASLEEP ????!

this is almost laughable ,,,,but potentially serious ..yes I did it fall out of an unfamiliar bed whilst staying in a hotel .I was not feeling to well my back and legs were hurting me and I decided to take to ..my..bed and took an early night ..so I showered and watched tv on my own its 9PM and I thought I might as well sleep so I got in to this crappy bed [single] and the next news was I am on the floor naked .in agony unable to move my legs without them locking up so I lay there and just wondered what I should do ..I am in a hotel on my own not feeling well and my phone is just out of reach !.so as I was lay there I managed after about an hour to turn over and grab the bed and get back in it I fell asleep and thought nothing more about it ....until I noticed ..whilst having a shave a lump the size of a half a tennis ball just to the side of my right shoulder !! .there was no pain just this soft lump .I was surprised that after the fall I was not in much pain .I even went swimming the following day ..but that night I just felt ill and for the rest of the brake {I was visiting my daughter in jersey] I spent it in the hotel just wanting to come home ..this was a MONTH ago ..today I went to the doctors because the lump had not reduced ..my doctor ..not a man to mess with ..!! could not believe what he was seeing and when I told him what I had done he had to ask me three times if what I told him was what happened ! .the reason for this interrogation ?? well he told me that I had ripped the tissue away from the bone ..as if ..someone had put there hand under my skin and ripped the fat and muscle away from its place ..its that bad my doctor said that if it gets any bigger or I start to get an neurological deficit I will need an operation !! and a big one at that ! ..anyone hurt themselves asleep /
1997 laminectomy
2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement

Comments

• no falling out of bed, but i can tell you one morning i woke up with a sore neck, and pain in my right arm. A few weeks later, spoke to my surgeon. He says its just a muscle strain and sends me off for PT. another 6 weeks later, and i tell him the pain hasn't changed at all, he orders the MRI. well, i go in for the results and his first words were, " What the hell did you do?"

Needless to say the MRI showed to major herniated discs. one of them even herniated in 2 different directions. nerve compression on 3 different nerve roots, and major bone spurs, with stenosis.

Now, unless i herniated those discs in a car accident 18 years earlier and never knew it, i haven't got a clue how i could have done this at all. i literally just woke up one morning and it was over.

And after nothing helped for a year or so, i caved and had a 2 level cervical fusion. so yeah, i totally believe that you can do absolutely nothing and end up with major problems.

Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012