Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Top 10 self help tips for quitting smoking

1.Think positive
2.Make a plan to quit smoking
3.Change your diet - A US study revealed that some foods, including meat, make cigarettes more satisfying. Others, including cheese, fruit and vegetables, make cigarettes taste terrible. So swap your usual steak or burger for a veggie pizza instead.
4.Change your drink
5. Identify when you crave cigarettes
6.Get some quitting support
7.Get moving
8.Make non-smoking friends
9.Keep your hands and mouth busy
10.Make a list of reasons to quit

Hope people find this helpful!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,845
    your medical doctor and/or center regarding the best ways to quit smoking.
    Nothing wrong what was posted, but before any member takes any action, they always need to talk it over with their doctor first
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Smoking is silent killer, there is no doubt about it. Its use is escalating tremendously these days. One should quit this bad habit as it is not harmful only to smoker but for non smokers also. 10 tips shared by you are really commendable and will definitely help people in quitting smoking.
  • Thanks for providing the informational tips about how to quit smoking. One thing you can also do is, go to any rehab center, which is specially made for this and now many medicines are also available for this.
  • razibpaul821rrazibpaul821 BangladeshPosts: 1
    Thanks for providing the informational tips
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I quit smoking 10/20/2014 and guess what I started doing about 6 weeks ago? 

My trigger is feeling "out of control" and, in reality, we are seldom in control.  I was bumming a cigarette here and there.  Last week when I started stressing about some tests I bought a pack.  Then I tossed them and went back to one here or there.  Today I bought another pack deluding myself into think I could control that.  Now I just soaked my almost full pack of $10 cancer sticks in the sink and tossed them. 

When I quit everyone said my pain would improve.  It didn't BUT I was so proud of myself for doing something SO hard.  There is a wonderful online site that still helps me to this day.  PM me if you'd like the link.

I'm going back to taking care of myself because THAT is something I can control!  I suck on dumdum lollipops to keep me "happy".  They help.  Weird thing is my asthma is much harder without some menthol.  Someone suggested I try electronic cigarettes but I think that would be a problem too. 

I'm so stubborn that I won't go near an extra pain med but I crave cigarettes!  They are right, they must be as difficult as heroin.  But, I'm going back to taking care of myself and I love all the help I get in these forums!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    The number one tip that got me to stop smoking was the list the reasons why I wanted to continue smoking.  Find a substitute for what I was using cigarettes for, and start there.
    We all know why we shouldn't smoke but no one asks why we do!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Hello rainpaul821!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.