Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

a little help please!! :(

sleepy20520ssleepy20520 Posts: 111
edited 11/30/2013 - 11:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So im 7 weeks and 2 days post Micrdodisc at L4L5 level. Ive had a roller coaster of a recovery with horrible pains and new pains etc.
Well the past week or two ive really felt like ive made a turn around and was doing alot better. granted the pain still wasnt totally gone but it was alot better. i was to the point where i was having more good than bad days and my bad days were usually due to me walking a bit too much or something like that.
im still not lifting, bending or twisting...as i have my final post op appt next week.
Now, im freakin out!
About an hour ago i was in my kitchen and i turned to walk out, tripped over my dog and fell on my back/butt. when i was falling it wasnt a flat fall but more of a bend over/fall. at first the pain was focused directly in my low back, where my incision is...felt like i got drop kicked right in my back for abotu 2 minutes.
then it went away and now im having alot of nerve pain in my butt and back of both legs....
now it isnt as bad as my presurgery pain at all but its def there and def worse than before i just fell. right now it feels like it does at the end of a long day of too much walking.... maybe a tad worse.

i immediately went to lay down and ice my back in hopes that would help. but im soo freakin out!!!!! im praying i just hurt it some and now my nerves are irritated...but im so scared i re herniated or something else bad.
im holding on to the thought that wheni got out of surgery and at both of my follow up visits, my surgeon and his assistant (said seperatetly) that they really doubted i had any chance of reherniating because they didnt think there was any disc material left inside the disc....
i just need some comfort here! has anyone done anything stupid like this and turned out ok afterwards????? :( UGH!
and the sucky thing is, i was having a better day today as far as pain goes.

• i also had an incident around 2 weeks where i accidentally twisted my body pretty bad, in a sleepy haze in bed and i had pains after that too and of course was freaking out! i saw my dr 2 days later and he said he doubted it did anything because by "2 weeks post op you should have enough scar tissue to help cushion it"... altho thats not what ive read from other things online but i guess my dr should know what he's talkin about? im just praying at 7.5 weeks post op i had enough scar tissue to really "cushion it" from this fall. UGH!!!!
  • You could always call the doctor on call to see what they suggest. I praying for you that everything is fine and you will be back to having more good days than bad days.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 11/30/2013 - 2:21 PM
    I just have to laugh... not a cruel laugh but a I so feel you laugh. So you don't know me but clearly I have some extensive and complex spine problems. I am more or less doing well. Nights can be rough, but I work, take care of family and lead a great life. This Thanksgiving I decided to cook the ENTIRE FEAST myself... including turkey, ham, rolls, two types of dressing, corn casserole, squash casserole, broccoli casserole, two types of sweet potato suffle, home made Mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, pecan preline pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate pecan pie... and one more thing but can't think of what it was... ANYWAYS I had friends coming and I was feeling all domesticated... I cooked the pies the night before (they cook about 45 minutes). I left them in the oven over night just like my great aunt use too. I should have known... SHOULD HAVE KNOWN things wouldn't go smoothly. Not only had I cooked the pies the night before, but I had labeled where every dish was going (so I knew I had enough dishes, etc.) and had prepped many dishes. I woke up on Thanksgiving and my husband (whose only assignment was to degiblet the turkey and keep the kids out of the kitchen) told me he was preheating the over for my turkey... thanks Babe!!!! 50 minutes later.....FIFTY MINUTES LATER we went to put the turkey in to discover he didn't remove the pies...LOL... talk about well done pies!!!! Anyways, I laughed that off and kept on going. About noon (friends were coming over at 4:00, the same friends that cleaned my house, kept my kids, did my laundry, etc. for the 7 total weeks I was in the hospital last year were coming)... so about noon I had just put some things in the oven and decided to take a quick bath. I smiley/happily/jauntily rushed into our bathroom feeling so pleased with myself, patting myself on my back,etc. stripped and then.. SLIPPED. The mat leading into our master shower wasn't firmly suctioned onto the tile (my husband had cleaned the shower the night before). My right big toe was the first casualty and took full force "head on" onto a tile wall and then obviously the rest of my body went down. I started screaming crying/SCREAMING CRYING for my husband "JOEY... JOEY...**sob sob** breath "JOEY!!!! JOEY!!!" repeat repeat repeat until finally my 6yo son came in the bathroom, I didn't even care that I was naked on the floor I barked at him to go get his Daddy... who I saw turn the corner half put out half exasperated (I know he thought I was yelling for a towel or something) and when he saw me on the floor, naked, snotty, tear soaked, SOBBING he started dashing it to me. He yelled for my kids to go in the den and we managed to get me off the floor onto the bed... and he's hysterical, "What do we do, what do we do? Ambulance? Call closest neighbor to get kids" etc. I managed to calm down enough (and boy was it painful.. my toe, the upper part of my thoracic spine, my left hip were all screaming)My son was crying asking my husband if I would have to have more surgeries **I won't lie, just thinking about his tear soaked little face all upset was much worse than the pain** I had my husband dress me in clothes that had no metal parts because I knew I was heading to the CT... We managed to get in the car and get buckled up and were heading out the neighborhood towards the ER when I thought about those pies and I got so incredibly tickled that I started laughing... and then I knew I was ok. I realized my big toe hurt by far the worst and I managed to convince my husband to just take me home (after all I owe 16k in medical bills and I knew the ER would run a CT and then admit me until my surgeon could read it himself which could be days and that would again max out my OOM for this year.... and in the end I knew that worst case I'd go into surgery but that wouldn't be until Monday so why bother with the ER???? and in my head if the toe hurt the worst then it was probably broken which meant if my back was broken it would hurt at least as bad right?!?!?! (maybe?!?!) so we went home and he helped me finish our Feast. I'm very strong willed. I hobbled around sore and hurt. I'm ok, just sore.... but my poor toe is completely black top, bottom, sides and swollen... I'm sure its broke but can't do much about that... so just hobbling around. This is one time I wished WISHED WISHED WISED I had pain meds at home.... because I would have taken them! Anyways, thankfully the soreness is going away in my back, especially my hip area so now just got to let the thoracic area heal and my huge swollen toe...

Thanks for letting me share my crazy Thanksgiving. I promised my husband I'd go get checked out next week...hopefully the only thing truly hurt is our pride... and of course my pies....lol.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Allmetal - oh man! i have to say mine wasnt as dramatic as that but i feel your pain! its now been about 7 hours since i fell... my low back is still very sore but im hoping it will pass with rest and ice. after laying down for a bit i got up and was able to cook dinner and put away a load of laundry (just folding, no lifting) and i felt fine. i still have some nerve leg pain but its nothing worse than it has been on my bad days lately so im hoping that means im ok...
    im just thinking if i did somethig i would be in alot more pain? man i hope so! i would call my dr buts its sat and they arent open, plus i have an appt on wed so i figure its pointless really....idk im praying mine isnt anything wrong. im resting again and my legs are def more sore and i def have some nerve pain but again its at about a 5 (which is what im at on a bad day after lots of walking so hopefully my nerve is just pissed from the fall.
    i have to say tho, the part of the fall that hurt the worst wasnt actually hitting the ground cuz i kinda went in slow motion, grabbing a rail and so i didnt really hit the groun too hard. the worst part was the bending. i havent bent over in weeks, not even slightly and now i just bent all the way over (trying to stop my fall) and all very abruptly and oh man my back did not like that. i felt it all in my low back, like a super intense pressure and pain, like i said, felt like a swift kick in my low back. now its jsut sore with lingering nerve pain in my butt/tailbone and some thighs. PRAYING it goes away. :( ill be so frustrated if i reinjured myself cuz i was jsut starting to think (today actually) how much better i was feeling,....FINALLY
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    if you can.. Many times, minor accidents like you just had can cause a good deal if discomfort, initial strong pain and then it should to subside. That is the normal course of flare ups. Its when you have a problem and it starts to get worse instead of staying the same. When that happens, you need to call your doctor.

Flare ups are going to happen, my feeling is that you give them a little time. Another small gauge, is that as long as you are able to get on the computer to post this, then you flareup is not a major problem and it should start to feel better in a couple of days. If after a couple of days and you see no improvement, perhaps a call to the doctor is in order.

But, some people want a peace of mind. In that situation, call your doctor and listen to their advice.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    edited 12/01/2013 - 6:41 AM
    I think Ron gives some solid advice. I know my pain is more severe soreness, not stabbing pains, etc. so I'm going to wait it out. He has tons of experience with all of this. Best of luck to the post of us!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • def good advice. its hard to tell because before i fell i still had some minor nerve pains in my glutes and a tiny bit down my legs but not too bad. usually a 2-4 on a 10 scale. i still have some nerve pains which dont see too much worse, maybe a 4 or 5 max... def a sharp butt pain but its more of a mix between a sharp pain and a severe bruise. i almost wish i could see a bruise and it might ease my mind.
    my low back is also sore, but again its more of a severe soreness....
    after i fell yesterday, i layed down, iced the area and rested for a couple hours. after that i felt fairly ok... def sore, but not horrible. when i woke up today, i felt alot worse. just like my entire butt/hip/low back area got beat up pretty bad... im hoping its just some bad soreness from the fall/bending motion i did when falling...and nothing serious.
    so obviously i know you can reherniate from falling like that but is there any other thing i should worry about messing up? ugh. the good news is i have my regular follow up with my dr on wed so im just gona wait it out till then. i just know if i call theyll tell me to do the same since im not in excruciating pain, so i may as well just wait it out until my appt.

i remember once i fell on some ice outside (no serious damage) and i was very sore for a couple of days... but i also hadnt had back surgery lol.

like i siad, the part im most scared of is the bending part. the falling wasnt so bad as i mostly landed on my butt/side, but when i was going down i instinctively tried to catch myself on the bannister and missed and ended up just full on bending over, as soon as i did my low back just HURT. like i got kick right in my incision area. so im just fully freaked out. needless to say. ill keep my fingers crossed for me and you AllMetal :)

sorry for the rambling :)
    edited 12/01/2013 - 4:55 PM
    Let us know what the surgeon says on Wednesday. Good luck!
  • sleepy20520ssleepy20520 Posts: 111
    edited 12/02/2013 - 7:56 AM
    i def will. well i woke up today thinking i felt better but not totally sure. i still have that overall soreness but not as bad... my left butt cheek stilll hurts like a bruise, cramp, tightness, maybe a little bit less bad too. BUT now i ahve that burning nerve pain in my butt, calf and foot...just like i did before surgery... but not as bad. its maybe a 4-5 and it was a 15 before surgery lol
    still praying its a flare up :( and trying my best to stay calm
  • hey guys, just wanted to update you. so i had that little bit of nerve pain a couple of days ago, by the next day it was gone and i felt overall pretty good... just a few glute cramps but nothing major. i actually walked a bit more that day than i had in a few days....then that night my right leg (opposite leg) started having burning in my whole leg/foot and pins and needles feeling. it continued all night until today...still have it now. it was worse at night than it is now, but its def there.
    i went to my post op check up today (suppose to be my last one lol) and told my surgeon. he seemed very surprised. he said he thought he got all the disc out but theres always a possibility there is a small piece left behind, or it could be inflammation from the leaking fluid from the disc, he said it could also be my disc has collapsed/settled and can be bothering the nerves (since i didnt have much disc material left)....basically he said it could be a number of things but cant tell without an MRI. so they are suppose to call me to schedule on probably next week. ugh.
    im so glad i didnt have to convince him to do one and he is just ordering it on his own, however i hate that i have to wait a week or more :( this nerve pain is just drivin me nuts. of course it hurts but more than hurting im so scared....idk what to think. im so scared im going to end up needing another surgery and idk how we are going to do it. what sucks is i was feeling so good and then i had to go trip and fall!!!!!!!! im just so depressed right now.
  • Glad you were able to get the rx for the MRI. Hopefully it will be nothing and your worse days areebhind you!
  • sleepy20520ssleepy20520 Posts: 111
    edited 12/05/2013 - 7:45 AM
    i hope so. i was kind of excited cuz when i got up today the intense nerve pain seemed gone or almost gone. then when i got up to walk around it came back some, in both toes and some in the legs... its probably about a 3-4 and burning pain so not nearly as bad as before but still there.
    im hoping its inflammation since it doesnt seem to be consistent. one day its there the next its not the next its in one leg the next day the other leg... you get the point. i think im just making up excuses in my head to justify it and hope it doesnt mean reherniation :(