Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Myelopathy symptoms

HI , new to this but do need some help. MRI cervical scan shows mild cord damage .c5/c6. Have many typical symptoms . Neck pain , stiffness,tingling in both arms shoulder to fingers , tingling in both legs . I pass all reflex tests except Hoffmans. . I have had numbness in hands and legs .

Operation on the NHS is prevented because consultants do not understand the leg pains I get . I get a severe pain in my left leg in the calf and lower thigh muscle , pain is worse in the night and prevents sleep.Pain follows exercise but come on when I rest . Similar pain but milder in right leg .

I believe I need a ACDF urgently , anyone had similar leg pains symptoms

Cheers Tony

Cheers Tony

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    I believe before you rush into any surgery, get a second opinion. Some one should explain the left leg pain., especially as low as your calf. Looking at some dermatone diagrams, I can not see where the C discs should be impacted your lower leg.

This could be two separate issues going on. That is why I think you should seek a second opinion before going in for the surgery. Now, if your current doctor is telling you , to have the ACDF right now, again, ask if he/she can explain your other problem.

Here are some articles you should read: Cervical Myelopathy
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you ,
    it is difficult using the NHS to get anyone to come up with a clear diagnosis , if the consultants don,t know they refer you on . I have seen neurologists , 4 Different spinal , rheumatologist . now I look for someone else on this web site who has had similar leg pains.PS I have written to my latest spinal surgeon for clear diagnosis.
    Cheers Tony
  • mickkrmmickkr Posts: 166
    edited 12/04/2013 - 8:50 PM
    Tony, the person who should be helping you through this, is your GP.
    In our system (I'm also in the UK) the GP is the "gatekeeper" to the rest of the NHS. I know not all GP's are as helpful as they could be and if yours is not cooperating then change GP's. I've done it a few times. It isn't difficult. You may be better off at a large GP practice or Health Centre where GP's compare notes and share their experience.

The dermatome map to which Ron refers relates to the nerves which connect to the spinal cord at any particular point. If the spinal cord itself is damaged or impinged then the dermatomes are not relevant and you could get pains/neurological deficits anywhere below that point on the spine if any particular nerves are affected.

I had extreme calf/hamstring/burning pains in the thighs from a t5/6 injury which was pinching the cord. Eventually my legs became too weak for me to walk and I became incontinent at which point I had surgery. I am not suggesting this applies to you, just relating my own experience.

I don't condone your idea of bypassing the GP and dealing with the neurosurgeon direct. In any case I doubt if he would do anything other than reply via your GP. What I would urge however, is that you be persistent until you do get a proper diagnosis. Have you had a whole spine MRI? If you are told there is a waiting list where you are, tell them you are prepared to attend at short notice, if there is a cancellation and that you are prepared to travel.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • I had figured out that the comments ref Dermatome could be misleading and that spinal cord compression could cause problems anywhere below the damage
    . I am at the point where the MRI scan cervical spine clearly shows mild myelomalacia,symptoms of tingling in arms ,shoulders, legs ,neck and face.withtired and acheing limbs leads me to seek an early ACDF.
    One consultant I have seen privately clearly came down on early intervention being the wise route. After an appointment this week at QMC Notts NHS I have been placed on the wailting list for a ACDF , although date not known yet.

Thanks for your advice.
    Cheers Tony
  • I am on an NHS waiting list for an ACDF but can get no details of how long the list is , could be upto 18 weeks . My symptoms continue to worsen and words like urgent and emergency come to mind. I have faxed the consutants and get no reply and have asked my GP to help . My GP is trying to get some info for my but says " once he has referred me to a consultant his responsibility for me ends " . Do any of you know what are the responsibilities of a GP . ? . Does he have a duty of care for me regardless of at which point of treatment I am at ?.

Cheers Tony