Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior - Posterior cervical fusion surgery

I am scheduled to have an anterior/posterior 5 level disketomy fusion this January. Last February I had it done but nothing has fused. In February I went with a local neurosurgeon but for this next surgery I am going back to a surgeon who did my lumbar surgery three years ago and it's been great - I've had no problems. A couple of questions to anyone who has had this done - how long of a recovery am I looking at and what was the most difficult part of your recovery? Also, is there anything I should do beforehand such as have certain things on hand. I live with my parents so I'm covered as far as meals and such. Any advice and any pros/cons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• i had a 360 cervical on 11/11.. 3 weeks ago today and i feel really good. I had a ACDF C6-7/C7-T-1 cages and a plate no bone graft.. And a posterior fusion C3-T-1 with rods and screws. 7 hrs in surgery and was released less then 48 hrs after coming out of surgery. Off all pain medication within 5 days. i am /was very fit going into the surgery ( lots of cardio/light weights) and i know that helped me as far as recovering as quickly as i have.I also mentally prepared as much as possible not letting anything negative effect my mindset. The first few days were bad I'm not going to lie. i was very very sore. But as i said i feel better each day and i am now up to 3 miles walking on my treadmill at home.
    i see my surgeon ( who is one of the best in chicago) on Dec 10th for my 1 month post op and i fully expect to be released to go back to work. Anything i can help with just ask it was my first surgery ever and was very nervous but it wasn't as bad as i imagined. Rob-
    Cervical 360 ACDF C6/7-C7T1 Posterior fusion with hardware C3-T1 11/11/13
  • It sounds like you had a great experience. This will be my 5th spinal surgery since 2005. My first two were done by a local surgeon who didn't know what he was doing because when I finally saw a neurosurgeon at a University hospital in 2010 because I was still having problems, he told me that nothing had fused and all of my screws were lose. This was in my lower back - haven't had trouble since. I should have went back to him last February but it is a 4 hour drive and I thought I had found another good surgeon near here. Obviously not. In November I went back to my U of M surgeon and again nothing is fused. I am also keeping up my exercise program although I can't lift weights anymore. I've read that some people found it easier to sleep in a recliner instead of a bed. Did you? How about eating? With my last one it wasn't too bad. I just kept to eating soft food for a few weeks. You are so like me with the meds! I wean off of them as soon as I can. Thanks for your input! If I think of anything else I'll post it.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 12/05/2013 - 5:06 AM

I am sorry that you are needing to have your 5 level fusion of your neck redone.
    I have only had two levels fused from the front, but have read that having the posterior surgery is harder recovery and that your muscles in the back of your neck and shoulders are likely to be very sore afterwards. There are other members who have had surgery from the back, so hopefully someone with experience of this will be along to share how they got on. Rpay's experience is very encouraging :-)

There is a thread about useful items for after surgery. It is very long because it covers lower back and neck surgery, but it does have some good ideas and gives an idea of where you might need help. It is at the top of the Back and Neck Surgery Area. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll post a link to it for you.

What date is your surgery?
    There may be a January Surgeries thread where, if you join, you can meet and talk to others who are also facing some sort of spinal surgery that month. It can be very reassuring and supportive to be able to chat with others who understand and are going through similar experiences to you.

• Emily64EEmily64 Posts: 39
    edited 12/05/2013 - 7:49 AM
    Thank you jellyhall! My surgery is January 21st. I was told that I may be there from 3-7 days, depending on how I do. I have recovered quickly in the past so I'm hoping for the same this time.
  • The ACDF was a breeze swallowing was sore the first few days but I have no issues at all I can eat anything even bread or meat without using water to get it down. But I don't even notice ant difference in the front now before surgery. The posterior is a whole different animal. I was on a morphine drip coming out of surgery ( the whole 360 was 7 hrs) and even moving my shoulders slightly hurt like hell even on the morphine for the first 2 days. Not going to lie I didn't sleep the first night in the hospital at all. Then they sent me for a ct scan that next morning which I had to slide from gurney to gurney no picnic at all..lol but went home less then 48 hrs after coming out of surgery. I tried the recliner the first night home but couldn't get comfortable . So the 2nd night I said screw it and laid in bed. It wasn't much better but by the 3rd night I slept ok and have not used the recliner since. I still toss and turn some but I'm sleeping ok at this point. No collar while sleeping and I only have it on when I feel I need it .( surgeons orders)When walking on the treadmill or obviously riding in the car. I am having to learn how to move my neck and head differently but I knew that going in,. I'm here for you if you need any advice just ask . anything else just let me know I was pretty scared going into this so I know how you must feel stay positive !!!! Rob P
    Cervical 360 ACDF C6/7-C7T1 Posterior fusion with hardware C3-T1 11/11/13