Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgery Update

Thanks Rick,

One week post-surgery for trial implant. Going well. The wires were difficult to get in to perfect location for complete pain coverage due to past neck problems. Ended up with only one in proper place but that's OK for a trial I guess. Gives me some idea of what is possible. I'm confident that with updated MRI prior to permanent implant surgery more leads will be able to be placed in better position. Added complication is that I've had asthma this week and coughing a lot so also think that has moved the leads. Still overall I'm happy for the experience and have had a good reduction of pain levels. I'd say about 30% when active and up to 45 - 50% when resting. I've cut back some of my medications but the asthma coughing has been a complication I hadn't banked on dealing with. Not sure what the insurance people will need for agreeing to put in an implant as far as % improvement goes. Have to wait and see I guess. My surgeon wants to wait 2 months anyway for recovery anyway so now to Christmas celebrations. I'd kill for a shower just now but very thankful for spray deodorants!!! LOL

• Are you saying that they don't want to do the permanent implant for 2 months? If so that surprises me, I had to postpone my trial that was supposed to happen in November, however the plan was to put the trial in Monday and the implant on Friday of the same week. Also did they use conscious sedation during the trial implant? That kind of freaks me out.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• or say you had at least 50% reduction in pain. They wont approve otherwise nor will many good surgeons do the procedure