Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New MRI equals no surgery

Well fellow spineys bad need today. I got a recent MRI with the hope of getting a neurosurgeon to perform a surgical procedure to help reduce pain and increase my mobility. I never thought I would want another surgery but I do if there is any chance it could help. One of the surgeons said there is no surgical remedies at this time. The ports show numerous discs out of alignment , herniations, and pressure on two nerve roots. I have lost over an inch in height from the disc tissue being squeezed out.

Oh well I knew it was a long shot so I will continue with pain meds but I am sick of injections that are painful and stressful and at best offer minor short term relief. Just had to share my disappointment with you all. I hope everyone is doing well and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

• AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 12/03/2013 - 4:57 PM
    you didn't find answers or solutions for your pain today. I have been told that same thing by a neurosurgeon, but it took awhile to regroup and continue trying to find answers, or anything that makes me feel better. I try to hang on to the good and happy memories and have them move me through the rough spots. I hope all the love of your family- I think I remember you said you had some grandchildren- makes your holidays special.
  • How come they won't do surgery with all those issues going on inside you?
  • There are so many different things going on they basically went back to the 50/50 stance.
    50% it may offer some pain improvement, and worse 50% chance or higher that pain could increase so not good odds. I have another neurosurgeon I sent the disc too for their review. I think my original surgeon made my lower spine worse in 2010 with the laminectomy because my lower spine,leg, and feet pain had been much worse ever since . I will be seeking additional opinions as well . I am sick of living on pills this way.
    That's where I am.
    AL S
  • Of all the things wrong with me they can only fix one. I ask the doc is this my life now? Taking pills an living in pain? He said I'm afraid so....

My mom is 76 an has 3 kinds arthritis an multiple other issuses an all kinds medications. BUT she brought me a bottle of "Baxyl". I think. Real name is Hyaluronan. She thinks it really helping her an wants me to try it.

I took it to my doc an he knew about it an said it was possible that I could benefit from it.

Check into it see what u think. At this point I have nothing to loose so am taking it. We see if it does anything for me.
  • asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
    edited 12/04/2013 - 11:07 PM
    No matter what I do everything has a negative aspect. Pain pills helps pain true but causes moodiness, fatigue, and I think depression. I was really hoping for surgery to resolve my pain and mobility issues but I guess not. I seem to just pop pills and stay in bed usolating myself from everyone. This is no way to live but I hang on with hope.
    Thanks all who comment
    AL S
  • Will wear u down an of course ur depressed. I know when there is something u think might help an that hope is taken you fall into despair.

U never know this what we might stumble on that could help. Don't worry about it right now. Try to get some rest and a few days of ease.
  • Depression is common after a debilitating injury and especially when we find that all the options we thought we had are no longer viable, at least right now. Antidepressants can help in two ways, lift our mood , and ease some of the pain. I know that none of us wants to think about adding another pill to the mix, but you might be surprised at how just doing that can add to the change in outlook. Sometimes we need to not focus so much on what we don't have, but on what we still do......a scooter may be helpful , or a rollator with wheels and a seat might be needed to get you out and about.......laying in bed is not going to help, no matter how difficult it is, to get up.
    After my first surgery, I went from a small patch of numbnes on one leg and some intense pain from a few herniations , to waking up in pain the likes that I couldn't imagine, and numbness from my hips down, along with various body parts that no longer worked. As time went on, things got worse, and slowly, bit by bit I was loosing my ability to walk, then to stand, and it was getting worse as time went on. A walker was there to hold me up since my legs couldn't/wouldn't.
    The worst day for me was the day they came to fit me for my motorized wheelchair, and a scooter........A second salvage operation was done to try to slow down the progression of my inability to stand on my own two feet, and that caused even more problems.....that very expensive wheelchair ( which my kids thought was really cool) haunted me.
    I decided that it may be my home for a bit, but I just wasn't ready to give up.......so I forced myself to use that walker, no matter what, and only used the manual wheelchair for short trips to the grocery store in the beginning......and little by little, I found that I could push myself a bit more , over time and make it a little further than I could the last time....I guess all those tiny trips up and down my stairs and down the hall helped more than I thought.......LOL
    It is now, some almost 7 years since my last surgery, and I am still on my own two feet.......that motorized wheelchair still sits here, to remind me not to give up.....
    I still face paralysis each day since my central canal is only open a tiny bit, 3.14 mm at last imaging, but each day that I am able to be on my own two feet, I am grateful for....and for now, that's good enough for me.
    edited 12/06/2013 - 7:29 AM
    Thanks you both for sharing your experience and giving me hope and courage to move forward. I was at the ER yesterday because I took a fall in my home. I had to call for a ambulance because the pain was so bad I couldn't get up. After a horribly tough ride they took me in the ER groaning in pain, then to x-ray more moving me while I groaned and yelled out in pain. It was rather obvious that relieving my pain was down on the list of importance, at least to them. The doctor came in an asked if I had pain meds at home, of course I said yes. Finally they gave me something, must have been not much because the effect was minimal. Then after an hour they gave me another shot and finally I had some relief. I think they treat everyone like a drug addict until proven innocent. I had that feeling like I am just some degenerate drug addict. It is so insulting.

Thanks again and keep going strong. I will try to move forward as well.
    AL S
  • er doctors are trained to look for drug seekers and there are red flags that make them suspicious. sometimes they look at the way people act as being overdramatic which moaning and groaning can be. i am not saying that is your case but only what drs look for. did they call your doctor to let him know you were in the er and did you give them his name and number? i went to the er only once on my own and that was for a kidney stone. these are the worse kinds of pain and i did not moan and groan. for stones, they really check for fakers because it is one of the major areas along with back pain that people go to the er for for narcotics. they stood by me while i peed in a cup to look for blood. they were making sure i did not put blood into the cup on my own. i also had a cat scan to prove i had one and they still gave me taradol at first for pain. they asked me if it helped and i said not really then they gave me a shot of morphine my point is that to get treated in the er, they will give one a lot of tests to make sure that one really needs help. the only other time i went to er is when my dr called the hospital to have me admitted for celulittis in my right leg and then i still had to have a lot of tests.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Yep, I had a great deal of tests. I gave them all my information but it's ashamed there are so many fakers that makes it hard on us all. I hate being in pain and I want relief from that pain which a Dr should provide.
    AL S
  • mariaecohenmmariaecohen Posts: 5
    edited 12/10/2013 - 2:05 AM
    Doctorsxxx jp Post edited, slamming of any one is not permitted
    I had a fusion 10 years ago and have been going through the same thing for the past two years , im petrified to go through the operation again, but i feel like it's the only way to ease the pain... i live in Virginia, and doctors refuse to give me anything to help with pain because im only 23.... seems like they are only giving me one option.... to suffer.

I hope you feel better, sucks that so many people are dealing with the same issues: /
    M cohen
    edited 12/09/2013 - 7:52 PM
    I am very sorry you are suffering. I am fearful now of everything Corning my pain. I am afraid I will say or do something to make some doc think I am drug seeking and losing what relief I have. I know I actually need a higher dose now but I am afraid to push. This process takes your dignity away, your security because you depend on someone else and being terrified that either he or the government will make a rule to take meds away. Living with fear or pain. I am more afraid of the untreated pain then anything else. I too am afraid of another surgery but I might do it if I thought it would help.
    I hope you find pain management to help you. Have faith and don't give up.
    AL S
  • increasing pain medicine dosage does not really help relieve the pain. if the doctor wants you at a certain dosage then they feel that this is the most optimal dosage for you. if you are on time release meds like i am then the dosage is released a little bit at a time, that is how it is effective. people think that since they do not feel the meds, they are not getting the correct dosage. why are you afraid to ask your dr anyway? all he can do is say no. never try to self medicate. i have been on the same dose of oxy for over 12 years now and my fenatnyl lollipops have been reduced with my asking the doctor. i have gone from 700 micograms to 300 micrograms and it has not affected my pain level at all. but there is nothing to fear. if your dr gives you a problem with asking, then you can just drop it or get another dr.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • mariaecohenmmariaecohen Posts: 5
    edited 12/10/2013 - 11:53 AM
    Thank you love.

My mother is on a very high dose of Oxy and still suffers, mind you she has roditary scoliosis and cannot have surgery (which is why she had me have my operation so young)

She was on fentenyl as well and i noticed a great improvement. She was able to walk, cook, etc.

The hospital decided to raise her dose and she had a terrible reaction, and stopped using them.

My brother has had surgery as well, (injury) . He was addicted to oxy for awhile. But he has stopped and only uses fentenyl now. He says it helps with pain, and swears by it.

Have you tried the patch? Ive read so many good/bad things about them. But i am still iffy.
    M cohen
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 12/11/2013 - 4:23 AM
    did you call me love? how nice if it is me if not that is all right. but narcotics do not get rid of all of the pain. they are a stop gap measure at best. they disassociate one from the pain. it is there but you are removed from it. you could take 100 pills and it would not get rid of all of the pain. well it would get rid of all of the pain in one way, it would kill you. the more one takes, the worse things get. it would be harder to get one off if need be. the body has worse side effects physically and mentally. it seems to be a common thread on this site, my pain meds do not work any more and i need to increase my dose. as have been mentioned by moderators there are other ways to help pain besides pain meds. pain meds are only one part of pain control. talk this over with you doctors. hope this helps. by the way i teach and have been for 25 years. i have had only one hug from a principal, my first one. nothing from the rest. in fact teachers are known to be huggy feely types but i never see this at school. but i do hug my wife, married 28 years, and my son 17 years old.
  • In my experience the absolute worst medication used in pain management is Oxycontin. For some reason, with that particular medication, it requires too frequent dosage increases. I was put on it , after my first surgery, at 10 mg /twice a day.....before long, I was at 40 mg , twice a day, then three times a day. I am not sure what it is about that particular medication, but it seems to stop working within 5-6 hours before it is supposed to, and the pain relief is there one minute and completely gone the next, with the onset of withdrawal feelings setting in, before the next dose is scheduled. It was those reasons that I wanted off it and fast, so I stopped taking it and gave myself some time to see what my pain levels were without any medications.
    When I saw my PM doctor, we discussed the problems/concerns that I had about Oxycontin, and we decided to try other medications. I have not had a single issue with any of the other available meds doing anything like what I saw with Oxycontin.
    As far as fentanyl goes, that is right at the top of the list of pain medications, but it should not be the first choice when it comes to pain medications. It is supposed to be reserved for those who have not had good outcomes with other "less potent" medications, and only when the patient is truly opiate tolerant.
    As with any medication, one must be careful of side effects, other medications you may be taking that can worsen any respiratory suppression and use them exactly as prescribed.
    Al, if your pain is not being managed appropriately, then it is time for a serious heart to heart with your doctor. The goal of pain management is a 50% reduction in unmedicated pain levels. So, if your pain is truly an "8" unmedicated, then the right goal for you would be a "4"...as long as you are taking the medications prescribed exactly as you are supposed to, not running out early, or taking more than you are supposed to, there is no reason to fear discussing that your pain levels are not being managed sufficiently.
    Maria, I am not sure what you had surgery for, or why you would be contemplating it again, but most surgeons will tell you if pain is the reason for your choice to undergo surgery, then that is not a good reason, since the outcomes can worsen your pain substantially.
    I found that out the hard way......