Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

about to start fentynol

Hi there...so I've been on increasing doses of ms contain for a while(Much to chagrin cuz morphiene doesn't work on me and gives me headaches!) But finally got pm Dr to try something new. So tomorrow I put on my first fentynol patch. Now I'm pretty familiar with the ups and downs of it..and the proper use of my breakthrough meds.

I follow up w her in two weeks to see how its going. My question is, if the patches aren't working for me, what are the pros/cons of other ER meds? I'm allergic to tramadol...so no ultram ER..all advice greatly appreciated since surgery at least 2 months out(4 level fusion) and I'm desperate to be able to do more w my kids!
Megan Starr

• is one of the strongest pain medications out there, so if that doesn't work for you, then you would have to see what other options your doctor may suggest. We can't make those recommendations here.
    There are many other options , so I am a bit surprised that your doctor jumped up to fentanyl since , depending on the dosage may make your post op pain more difficult to manage since you aren't having surgery for two months or more...
    I would have thought that he would have tried one of the other extended release medications beside morphine before jumping to a medication usually reserved for use after all of the others have failed.
    What dosage patches did he put you on , and how much morphine were you on previously? What breakthrough medication are you taking and will you be taking it while on the patch?
    The thing about the patch is that it can take several days to build up to a steady plasma state in your blood stream, so you may find that you aren't getting great relief until you have gone through at least one patch change. Usually , fentanyl takes somewhere between 12-18 hours to reach a steady state, and then once you are established on it, the blood plasma level is stable, even when you change the patches..
  • ya i am surprised that he started out with the strongest narcotics first. that does not happen in the real world. i started out with weaker ones and graduated up to oxycontin and fenatyl lollipops. but if you are using the patch, i started with 100 mice grams because i was on strong meds first. the only problem i had is when i sweated, they would come off. i tried tape but that did not keep them on. i found that oxycontin 40 mmg worked better than the patches for me. i tried morphine xr and it gives me nightmares. i occasionaly have nightmares with the lollipops but no all of the time. i have been on oxy and fenatyl lollipops for about 10 years and they do the best for me. i also have mine compounded at a local pharmacy and it works as well as the regular meds.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
    edited 12/06/2013 - 12:51 PM
    Please be careful with the patches around your children. make sure they are covered so the little oned do not try and play with it. Also be careful with disposal. We had to bag them before throwing them away at the hospital.

I am glad you were able to find a Dr to finally help you. good Luck with your surgery.