Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm a newbie

Hello, I was just diagnosed with cervical stenosis and I am in the PT stage. But, my pain is really good in the neck and shoulder blades and I am getting noticeably weaker in my left arm particularly. I am self-employed and I may eventually lose my business because I can't handle large volumes of work. If conservative measures are just a delay, why not just go to surgery. I don't want to get to the point where I am really limited

• Sometimes it just makes sense to go straight to surgery. I have mild stenosis along with a mile long list of other things too but I am trying to take the concervative measure because I don't want surgery but it seems inevitable most days. I know a few people that have went straight to surgery and have had awesome results. I wish you well and please keep us updated.
  • I'm very scared today. It was difficult to sleep. PIns and needles in my leg
  • That is a sign of pinched nerve, I have the same thing in my left arm, I have mild stenosis throughout my cervical spine, degenerative disc disease in all my discs but 1, multiple bulges throught my cervical spine and without looking I think only 2 actual herniations but only one of them is touching my spinal cord but supposedly not touching my nerves in my spinal cord.

I have numbness and tingling in my left arm almost all the time, I have had 2 cervical epidural steroid injections, I went to physical therapy twice and they told me that they couldn't help me because I couldn't do traction and nothing else worked for more than a couple hours, moist heat, estim, massage. My mri says that I should have more pain in my right arm than my left but I have no pain in my right arm, it is all in my left. I also have a huge amount of leg cramps, I get charlie horses in my feet every night to where I have to get up and pace the floor. My doctor that gave me the injections told me that my numbness and tingling and pain should subside with the injections, that is why they were administered but I didn't get any relief from them.
    I have heard many many success stories about the injections and how people can return to normal within hours of getting them done and can live pain free for months and if it returns then they just go get another shot. I think they can give 3 or 4 of them per year. They aren't cheap if you don't have insurance but they still might be worth giving them a try to be able to save yourself some pain and be able to work again.
    Have you had an MRI? Have you talked to a surgeon? What are they doing for you in pt? I use moist heat every day, it is the thing that helps me the most.
  • JB-- I do have insurance and I am a self-employed insurance adjuster. I have to keep working until I fall down. Haven't seen nuero yet, he's up the ladder at this spine center at hospital but I see rehab doc on Tuesday and I want to be evaluated. Haven't reached the shots yet but I'm sure they are coming. I see ACDF in future
  • Do you see any help from pt? If you do then they will more than likely just keep doing that. If you feel you need to talk to a surgeon then you might have to insist on it. I had to have 3 different doctors before I found one that helped me. I go tuesday to talk to her to see where I go from here since my epi's didn't work. I am going to ask for some different meds and she wants to try a facet block I believe. If the facet block doesn't help then I am going to talk to a surgeon myself.
  • I agree. If this won't get any better, I'd rather go right to surgery. I've heard you can get back your life. If it needs to be done, the heck with all this pain and numbness
  • I haven't heard anything from you in a while, is your pt working or have you had any esi's yet? I had a facet block done on Dec. 11 and I thought I was doing a lot better, I felt like crap the next day but I was warned that was going to happen but would see some relief in the coming weeks. It has been a month now and I am back to where I was before the facet block, I go back on Jan. 14 for round 2. I felt awesome for about a week, I had almost no pain, no numbness, Then we went christmas shopping and walked through the mall for countless hours. I was carrying all those bags and the next day is when I started to go down hill again. I don't know if I over did it or if it was just coincidence.
    I hope not hearing from you is a good sign... keep in touch.