Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 6 months Post Op question

I am almost 6 months post op.. Yesterday I went and had a new set of x-rays to take to my appointment. I hope there is new bone growth. Did not have any at my 3 month visit.

I have been feel super since I've had no pain and am able to bend to pick something up off the flfoor with no problems. Here is my issue. Starting Monday morning and still today, I have had an aching in my lower back where I had the surgery. Its not pain, just a constant ache. When I woke up this morning I seemed OK but as the day went on, I started feelinhg it again after I was up for a few hours. It also seems like its achy in my butt cheeks deep inside which is making me think that it might be sciatica. I had some sciatic pain after my surgery but haven't had it for about 3 months now.

Anyone who has experienced aching this long after surgery please post your comments. I was hoping it was the cold weather that we have been hit with for about a week now. We're usually in the 80's and the temps have dropped down to the 40's

I will be seeing my surgeon end of week and I will mention how I'm feeling to him

• Curious, how did your Dr. appt go? I didn't see a post from you since your appt, hope everything is okay.
    PLIF fusion L4-L5 and Decompression July 31
  • I had ALIF at L4-L5 in april of 2011. I was pain free for about a year and then it came creeping back sounding much like the pain you're having. The pain wasn't bad when it started back but it continue to progress and was worst in my SI area, glute (mostly left side), and hip joint.

I started going to pain management again but there was just a deeper part of the pain that the treatments couldn't address. I asked to be referred to a minimally invasive neurosurgeon. During the first appt it appeared that my back never fused. I was sent for a CT and during the follow up appt it was shown that it's not that it didn't fuse but that at some point I broke what had barely started to fuse.

I know just when it happened too. I fell 5 months after the first surgery. When you had your x-rays was one of them where they had you curl up on your side almost like in a fetal position? That's the one that will be able show if there's move any movement.

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • For me the temp outside really makes a difference on me weather I feel good or not. I live in WI and noticed as soon as it got colder 45 or below I have much more pain!
    L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
    Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
    L4 Facet arthritis
  • I have been doing really good without any really problems with weather except for today. Really cold here in NC and my back is sore. Just being real careful. I had complete regrowth at my fusion site.
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    edited 01/22/2014 - 1:10 PM
    My back aches 8 months post surgery. It never goes away and the cold does seem to make it worse. In the teens and it feels worse. I am not sure what to do to get rid of my pain? I have tried acupuncture and PT and stretch and walk daily. It is worse when I sit better when I move.
  • Hi - your description sounds exactly like how my sciatica presented in my case. From the middle of my glute and all the way down to my toes; a dull ache and pain. It gradually lead to muscle weakness. Mine was left sided and post surgery it is gone. But now I have right sided sciatica! Grr. Not sure what to think; I haven't had my post op appointment yet, so I'm pretty anxious. Last night, my normal dull ache in my right lake presented as a cold, lightning-like shooting pain from buttock to foot. I'm pretty anxious now. Hoping I haven't done any damage . Time will tell
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Up to my 6 month check Dr was telling me I was fusing ahead of schedule. At my 6 mth check up, Dr said I wasn't fused/healed, it could take up to a year. I was disappointed. This time they had me bend backwards and forward for the X-rays , so maybe it showed something. Disappointing visit. I go back in 6 mths - 1 year out. Anyone have a similar situation?
    PLIF fusion L4-L5 and Decompression July 31