Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi all
If you read previous posts I had a DISCETOMY in April this year but Im still in great deal of pain, can't work etc

I have had 2 MRI's one with dye injected, contrast I think it's called. I've today seen my consultant/surgeon and she has put me on a 100 day course of antibiotics.
I came home and googled antibiotics for lower back pain as she had advised and there it was, guess I'm some kind of guinea pig in the continuing fight to cure the pain we suffer and I would try anything right now.... I will updat in a few days

All the best Dawn

• I know that there have been some recent studies suggesting that the use of antibiotics might in fact, ease some types of back pain so we have to hope that you see some positive results from this.
    I'm sorry that you are still in pain.
  • Dawnylou68DDawnylou68 Posts: 46
    edited 12/11/2013 - 11:15 AM
    Hi Sandi
    Thanks for that im feeling hopeful so let's hope it does work, I won't know for a few weeks yet.
    Have you ever come across this treatment before as I can't seem to find any fellow guinea pigs lols??
    Many thanks Dawn
  • I have never heard of this. If it works that's amazing. My only concern would be that being on antibiotics for that long would wipe out much of the good bacteria in your body and causing a particular female problem. And with there being so many things that are resistant to antibiotics or in the future if this antibiotic is needed to treat another problem will it work for you the next time . I am curious to see if this treatment does work on some back pain. It would be nice to take meds to fix a problem and not just mask the pain of a problem. Please keep us updated on how this works out for you.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • There were some recent studies done, really recently like within the last year that said that increased back pain may be relatrd to some bacteria and the use of antibiotics over an extended time frame worked in some cases.......so we will keep our fingers crossed in yours that it does it's magic.
    Wouldn't it be something if they found that a lot of back surgeries could be avoided, (except in mechanical or nerve compression problems) with the use of a simple antibiotic?
  • ADRJenAADRJen Posts: 211
    edited 12/15/2013 - 2:07 AM
    I was on a super strong antibiotic (Vancomycin) for two months last year for CDiff. My back continued to get worse. Hope it works for you. My advise would be to take an over the counter Probiotic and eat yogurt to counter the affects and put good bacteria into your gut.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil