Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suggestions on surgery before/after pregnancy

I'm currently 25 years old and have recently recovered from a microdiscectomy at the L5-S1 level.

My timeline:
July 2011- Right leg pain & diagnosed w/herniated disc
Aug-Oct 2011: Series of 3 injections; taking Tramadol/Ultram, Meloxicam/Mobic, & Gabapentin/Neurontin
Nov-Dec 2011: PT learning McKenzie Method
2012 - used McKenzie Method whenever discomfort experienced; got off of all meds except Mobic so I could graduate college
...then I started to wonder, I can't do these stretches or take meds whenever I become pregnant!
June 2013: New MRI to observe if any new changes from 2011
Aug 2013: Finally get follow -up w/neurosurgeon only to find he recommends microdiscectomy but is moving out of state!
Sept-Oct 2013: Find new surgeon & have microdiscectomy
Currently: less disc and concerned bone-to-bone contact will become chronically worse and debilitating during pregnancy??

I had the surgery due to a mild herniation and primarily rt leg pain. I was told that because my disc was completely collapsed and the tissue removed during surgery began to calcify, my recovery would be a slow process. Unfortunately, I am now having my entire left leg experience numbness at night and minimal relief on the right side. The neurosurgeon I am currently seeing says "a bigger surgery would be needed" but will not provide details until after my next MRI and a nerve test is done.
My current concern is: I'd like to start a family after getting married in May. Many reviews on fusion and disc replacement surgeries have further complications (from what I've read.) So I'm wondering if I should just "deal" with the discomfort until after a baby, or will the pressure on my lower spine from being pregnant cause intolerable pain (and stress!) throughout the pregnancy?

• There unfortunately is no way to know, even for your surgeon if your conditon will worsen or not during a pregnancy. Even without a pregnancy, there is no way to give a patient a time line to say things will remain stable for weeks/months/ years in a spine condition.
    The good news is that hormones released during pregnancy loosen ligaments, and for some reason can reduce pain , but you would have to watch how much weight you gain and how quickly.....too much or too little weight gain can be dangerous in both situations.
    If I were you, I would discuss your concerns with both the surgeon and your gyn/ob and see what they tell you together.
  • I think Sandi gives good advice. I can also tell you that I did physical therapy to help with pain during pregnancy so that's a safe option as well. Best of luck!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.