If you would have told me a year ago that by this time in 2013 I would have under gone 3 back surgeries from August to December I would have never believed you. Well August 7th I had my first L4-L5 Mircodiscectomy. I started to develop unusual pain during recovery at home and the surgeon sent me for a MRI which showed the disc reherniated just 14 days after surgery. October 7th I had a L4-L5 Microdiscectomy revision. Once again unusal pain started, went for another MRI and 10 days later the disc had renerniated. No one could beleive that the disc had herniated yet again. Thankfully my surgeon doesnt have the "wait and see' approach and sent me for a MRI each time I felt that something wasn't going right in my recovery from my surgeries.
Which brings me to my latest surgery. I was fearfull that I had made the right choice by going ahead with the fusion instead of waiting it out. My surgeon gave me the option to wait if I wasnt ready to have surgery again si siin after the first two. Or if I was ready I could go ahead and schedule the surgery. I scheduled the surgery and had 3 weeks to wait. During that time I started to think I could wait and see if this time it would get better on its own but the Lord had showed me that I made the right choice. I awoke on Thanksgiving morning and I was barely able walk and had excruciating painin my back. No matter what type of pain meds I took nothing was helping. I thought about heading to the ER but with my surgery scheduled for Monday, I didnt see the point of going in.
December 2nd I had a L4-L5 fusion. During the surgery the surgeon had found that a fragment of the disc was in spinal column space causing me all the pain.
Now I am 9 days post-op and I feel good. I have not started to develop any unusual pains yet, which is a good thing. But there is no longer a disc there to herniate and cause pain. I have incision pain, muscle aches and on occasion I will have a slight cramping in the left leg, but nothing like before.
I have no regrets in going ahead with the fusion, in fact I dont know what would have happened had I not had surgery scheduled and the disc fragment continued to cause pain. I probably would have had to have emergancy surgery. I am sure that at some point during my recovery I will have a set back or times of with more pain but as of now I am happy and comfortable. The biggest problem is boredom and wanting to do things around the house.
L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014