Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What exercises after MicroDisc? no PT yet....

So I saw my dr last week (im now 9 weeks post op) and at the time i saw him i washaving major sciatica pain in my opposite leg (i had also slipped and fallen) ...he was pretty confident it was a flare up but wanted to be sure so he ordered an MRI. BUT, with the holidays and his booked up schedule I cant get in until Jan15 (another month). I asked about PT and at first saidhe didnt think i needed it cuz my wound is fine and they wouldnt do much for me. Then I explained i havent bent/twisted/lifted in 3 months (stopped doing so prior to surgery)...and even before surgery was bedridden for 7 weeks....sooooo i just felt overall week and im scared to bend....
after that he agreed PT would probably be a good idea, but to wait until after the MRI.
He did also say, i was pretty much cleared to do watever i felt comfortable doing....he said he always tells patients "if it hurts, dont do it"
he said i could start doing more workouts (slowly) and see if it hurts.
my question to all of you is, what workouts did you start with. im already walking and slowly increasing it. right nowim at an average of 1.5 miles a day total. the other day i went up to 1.9 miles (not on purpose) and had some sciatica pain comeback....after some rest it did calm down mostly.
anyways, im looking for specific advice on what exercises you did that helped/hurt, etc.
thanks so much!
-D-
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    I am sure there are plenty of members here who have good intentions by providing you with suggestions as to what exercises you can do. Just remember, no one is you, everyone handles things differently. Some one may tell you that exercise A is perfect for you, they had the same surgery, same boat you are in, so they know its good for you.

Only two people can tell you its good for you... 1 - Your doctor and 2 - Yourself ... Sometimes I am not always keen on what #2 thinks. I know for myself, I knew I could do more, I pushed and eventually had to have another surgery.

If you stll want to go ahead on a member's recommendation, then I say Just do it slowly and gradually. Let your body adjust to the new exercise. Give it a couple of days, and if you still feel good, bring it up a notch. Just do things slowly.

You dont want to do too much and slip back into a big flare up
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Mine were insistent on having me do aquatic pt immediately after the surgery. It had to be in shoulder high water so weight wouldn't be on the lumbar spine as I did the movements.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Dilauro- thanks a lot! you are definitely right.... i just feel so useless not being able to do anything else besides wonder around my house and the occasional 10 min trip to the store lol
    right now im kind of at that piont where i have a couple good days and i do a bit more, nothing crazy tho.. maybe just standing up alot longer than i would. then the next couple of days i have a flare up and i spend it mostly resting. and the cycle starts over lol. so annoying. i gues i just didnt want to sit around letting my muscle waste away without doing sometihng... even if its just stretching. but you are probably right... i should just wait till i see my dr again

Paul - what workouts did you do in the pool? i know i hear people say aquatic PT but i never hear exactly what.
    -D-
  • They had me walk from one side of the pool and to the other many times. Then, more of the same except walking like a crab, sideways. I'd walk all the way one way leading with the left, then come back leading with the right. Scissor kicking, deep knee bends on a riser that was on the bottom of the pool, and that kind of stuff. I saw people with flotation devices wrapped around their upper torsos and ankle weight strapped to their ankles but I didn't get to do that.

• sleepy20520ssleepy20520 Posts: 111
    edited 12/12/2013 - 3:12 PM
    Paul-did u think it helped? I saw you had 2 microdisc...just wondering if there was something that went wrong to have a 2nd?
    -D-
  • My case was complicated and it makes me unable to answer your question in a fair way.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    The pool at the Rehab center I go to goes from 3 feet to a max 4.5 feet. Water temp is around 93 degrees. I have spent many hours in that pool as part of Aqua Therapy and have spent 10 times more hours in that pool iwth their independent program.

Aqua Therapy requires a therapist to work with you one on one as part of a script to help improve your condition
    Independent using the pool under the guidance of technicians.

I always feel better and am at my best when I am going to the pool on a regular basis.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My MIL suffers from RSD, spinal stenosis and has had cervical fusions, has fibromyalgia and on land she can hardly walk or do much of anything. She got a membership to a therapeutic pool and had a few one on one PT sessions and still goes at least 3 days a week on her own. And it has improved her spinal pains and mobility quite a bit. And if you go to a therapeutic pool you don't have a bunch of kids rough housing around you so it is safer. Even if all you do is walk in the pool. I will be going in a month as long as everything is fine when I have my 4 week post op check up. Just had surgery yesterday. I can't wait to be able to be active again.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
advertisement