Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After RFA affects

MarkPMMarkP Posts: 2
edited 12/12/2013 - 5:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey all...reading your posts, Im looking for effects after the RFA...what is NOT normal.

Lumbar Dx's: spondylosis, bilateral pars defect, anterolisthesis, facet arthropathy, 4 disc protrusions, flavum thick, fissures
(add'l- 3 cervical surgeries, add'l disc bulges in T)

Went in for 1st RFA right side, last Wed. SEVERE PAIN, sharp stabbing pains in back..like a knife over & over in waves, next day started shooting around my hip, down the front thigh, and my butt was clenched sore as all get out, sharp shooting pains in testicle. Happens every few minutes thru the weekend, am absolutely exhausted. I called on Fri, and told this was normal.

Got into the Dr. Mon., adjusted meds, advised a 'therapeutic injection' that would 'take the pain away immediately'. Had that done on Tues. and did not work! Pain increasing, stabbing continues, puts me in a stiff state enduring it... The pain clinic said, I would still be ok to to do the left side RFA the next day. I figured if I was in this kind of pain, I dont want to wait, so I came back to do it.

Wed. RFA, feet came off the table, it hurt so dang bad. Feeling weak, especially standing to sitting and vice versa. Still a constant cycle of stabbing pains and back feels warm to touch, severe aching..now going up thru my spine to my neck..my neck is sore, I guess from constant stiffness/clenching when the 'stabbing wave' comes on. Woke up from broken sleep with same pains, buttocks, thighs, and now lower calf muscle, still testicle pain (told this was common). Also, my hands were tremoring/shaking and my calf muscles were twitching...embarrassingly, I lost bladder control. Which is why I think I woke up. Called pain clinic again this morning, and they are getting me in this afternoon.

Rather pissed and very worried, that being told this is normal....this is not normal, reading all these posts. Anybody else experience these post symptoms? How long should this last? How would I know the Dr. messed up or touched another nerve and this is happening because of it? Read about neuritis, told I may have some 'pissed off nerves', On percocet, gabapentin, baclophen, celebrex. So tired.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Where was the frying done. I had it done six times and usually 2,3 days I'm sore at the location where I had the electrodes but what you are describing is not from RFA. There is no way to have these kinds of symptoms from facet nerve ablation..
    I design your spine
  • MarkPMMarkP Posts: 2
    edited 12/20/2013 - 12:29 PM
    Hey, thanks for replying. Your post condition is as far as this pain clinic stated that I would feel. Went to see the pain Dr. again today, I do feel a pinch better, in that the stabbing is less frequent and shorter duration. My low back is still so dang sore, it really hurts (but tolerable). Since my last post, got a RX for Lidocaine gel to spread on my butt for the horrible nerve pain, man when I have that spread on just the slightest touch sends me into ORBIT! I hold my shorts away from my butt because the cloth touching is so painful. Told that's neuralgia and 'normal' for the reaction I'm having to the RFA...pain doc also said today, 'you are going to feel so much relief when this clears up and those nerves completely die', I hope so, trying to stay hopeful. Like I said, a tad better, not so freaked out today.

I think other nerves were touched, perhaps a sloppy job, I dunno. This RFA was based off a Mar 2013 MRI, I just had an MRI done a few days ago. Report says, nothing indicative to evidence of radiculopathy??? I do have 2-4mm bulging disc and 2-2mm bulging discs, some stenosis now showing up bone spurs, L5-S1 has a grade 1 anterolisthesis and then bilateral pars defects.

Have an appt with my spine surgeon to show him the MRI and get another opinion. Honestly, I do not want to return to this pain clinic. Problem is, I know I will need meds and no primary care that I can find will prescribe them, they all want you to go to a pain clinic. Very frustrating, when you're tired of having your spine prodded and stung and not getting much comfort from it. This procedure was not worth it, thus far, for me...I won't do it again. Still thinking this was not the right procedure for me.

Glad that you're getting relief..really I am. Good luck to you.
  • Give it some time. My last one I had this crazy burning if I touched my skin on top of my hips but after 3 weeks, it went away.
    I design your spine