Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Your pet is no longer with you - a tragic event

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
edited 12/13/2013 - 12:13 PM in Depression and Coping
I was reading a post by Lyndal this morning and it just prompted me to create this thread.

The loss of a pet is a very intimate and difficult time. Folks that have never had pets can not understand this, because After all, it was just an animal Those words are so wrong and hurtful to pet owners..

For me, it was dogs, for others it could be cats, rabbits, turtle, etc, really doesn't matter. We get attached to our 'friends' and the best part is that the always love us. You could have yelled at your pet in the morning for doing something wrong, take something away from them,etc.. But the moment you walk in the door, they are right there so excited to see you. Thats what unconditional love is all about. Tell me, when was the last time you had an argument with your spouse or significant other and when you see each other at the end of the day, is it all smiles OR does part of that argument still fester inside?

Pets dont understand that, and maybe they do, but they realize that some of those arguments were so little that in the realm of life, it really didn't matter.

I have had to put 3 of my dogs to sleep. One from old age, One because his poor soul was tormented at some time and he could never control himself, and last because, my favorite had lost her eyesight.

Its always so sad when you lose a pet. Can you find one to replace him or her? Yes, but they will be different, not lacking for love, but for just being who they were.

Its hard for me to even write this, because all I can see the time I lost each of our, and the tears come now as they did before.

Lyndal, I am sorry for your loss today
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 12/13/2013 - 9:35 AM
    One of my dogs is 14, she's a mut but been absolutely no problem. She is loosing her eyesight and is hard of hearing but has a great will to live, actually its a great will to sleep in the basement, eat and sleep some more. Shortly after I got her I got Sam from the local humane society. He was a boxer/pit bull mix that was the gentlist soul you could ever meet. They had found him wandering the streets with a very large gash on his stomache. I got him to be company with Ashley while I was at work and the two of them became inseperable. They found a way to sneak out of the backyard while I was at work but would always be back in the yard when I got home. I noticed all these shoes in the backyard and thought that the dogs were barking when I wasnt there and the neighbors were throwing shoes to get them to shut up. I lived out in the country at the time and houses weren't that close. I was talking to my neighbor and they told me something strange was going on as they were missing some single and pairs of shoes from their porch...
    To stop the shoe thiefs I put the dogs in a chain link run when I went to work and I'd come home and Sam would be outside of the run with Ashley still inside. I realized that Sam could climb chain link. His climbing ability eventually caused him to blow out one of his knees and over the next 5 years I ended up having both of his knees rebuilt and during that time I got Sarah the german shepherd.
    3 years ago Sam was standing in the backyard not moving, just staring at the ground. He wasn't wimpering or making any noise just staring. I took him to the vet where they noticed his belly was pretty swollen. After a sonogram he had emergency surgery for a ruptured kidney. He had cancer that was not treatable. The vet stitched him back up and said he had at most 8 months. Well over the next 2 years he went blind and couldn't hear very well but Sarah and Ashley would help guide him if he got confused. They always made sure he knew where the stairs were to get into the house, and kept him from walking into the pond. When he could no longer stand up I knew it was time. As he was laying there in the vets office, he kept reaching out his paw to me and as long as i was holding it he would breath easier.
    Dogs are not just an animal, they have a spirit, they approach each day with energy and seem to enjoy all their time on earth. I believe we can all learn from them and their approach to life and interaction with us, the members of their pack. Their love is unconditional and they look at us for assurance and a little return on their love.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Thank you guys. I lived in Australia in the country at the time on a farm. One of our dogs had been bitten by a snake and died. I wanted a dingo and one day when I was driving home from work the back way I saw a dingo or a fox on the side of the road and stopped my car as I thought someone would run it over. Dingoes and foxes normally come out after dark. Ernie Dingo ran towards me and I thought he was going to attack me, remember Lindy Chamberlain and I have been to Fraser Island where the dingoes are starving, people feed them, and they do attack kids for food as all their natural food has long gone, people have offered to take care of them, but the Govt does nothing.

I was standing by the car and he ran towards me then rolled on his back. I patted him and he jumped straight into the car. He was starving and someone had dumped him. So I took him home and fed him. I think he was a cross but looked so much like a dingo. He was incredibly smart - great with cattle - didn't have to teach him to round them up and he never hurt them. Blue heelers which farmers normally use nip at the cattles' heels to get them to go where they want them to go. He used to go and talk to them.

We had a lamb which the mother refused to feed so had to hand feed him. For some reason he bonded with Ernie Dingo as his mother. Lambsie used to come and lie between Ernie's legs and would wack Ernie under his stomach to get milk like they do with their mothers'. When the lamb was small 'cause he thought Ernie was his mother he would play head butting games with the dog. Lambsie bonded so much he used to come inside the farm and sleep with Ernie dingo. As Lambsie grew bigger, he was a southdown, he still wanted to play head butting games and would flip Ernie in the air into a somersault. It was funny to watch a lamb following a dog everywhere.

When I brought him to the city because of work I would get phone calls at work to come and pick him up. He used to go to a vet miles away and sit at the door smiling and they would let him in and call me. He had to cross two incredibly busy roads to get to the vet so we followed him one day and he actually went to the lights and crossed the road there. Had to build a fence then - he was so used to roaming in the country.

If anyone came who was upset of ill he would immediately go and sit with them. Somehow he knew. I loved that dog to pieces - I took him to a pet shop to get food once and a woman said what a beautiful dog, got on the ground and kissed Ernie on the lips - pretty weird, she said if he was a man she would marry him. Pete took him for a walk on the beach one day and an American guy wanted him for his son. He offered Pete $300 on the spot for him. Then upped the offer to $500 bucks.

Thank you for reminding me of the good times we had - when I injured my back couldn't take him for a walk so often. He will be my last dog because of this injury. Dogs are so smart. they love you unconditionally. I really miss him.

• Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    edited 12/13/2013 - 1:25 PM
    I can relate to this sad loss of a true friend. Last December when I injured my back shoveling snow my Labrador then 11 helped keep me company while working on the driveway. I was in excruciating pain for months and in January we woke up one morning and Bindi couldn't use her hind legs. Went from walking one day to partial paralysis overnight. I could barely lift her but did with my husband's help three times a day with my own back injured took her outside, all 80 lbs! The vet thought she had something called FCE which she could recover from but did not. About 2 weeks after this we had to make a difficult decision to put her to sleep. When I needed her companionship most she was gone. I would love to have a new companion but wonder with my back pain if I ever will be able to get another puppy and deal with training and the pulling on the leash. We have waited almost a year and I am still heartbroken. Strange that we both ad problems at the same time.
    I really miss her.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    We've had several great companions over the years. It is so hard to make the decision to end their suffering but you know it is best for them. It never got easier but our last lab/retriever we put down a few years ago was just too hard to see her go. We have since been without as our lives have changed so much and we are rarely home often enough to give that four legged friend the attention they deserve. Some day we will welcome another friend for life into our home when life gets a little less difficult. I will look forward to that day.
  • I had a series of three when I was growing up and as an adult I raised one from scratch (ie, from puppyhood), took in one as a rescue, and now have had a Katrina refugee pup for the past seven years as her family could no longer keep her after their home was destroyed. I think they are as close to perfect as any creation can be. Both of my dogs lived to age 13 and it was so painful to let them go that my husband didn't want to bond with another dog. I think he's gotten past that now.

I was looking through a catalog at one point and I saw a little plaque made for people to remember their pets with. It was
    printed with, "Thanks for everything, I had a great time!" I found it very comforting. I think if all our dogs could talk, that's what they would say. I figure I'll see them all on the other side some day and we'll reminisce. I didn't see the post that Ron referenced, but I hope this helps the sorrow. Too often we just remember the last part of their lives and forget about what a good ride we all had together overall.

My first two grown up dogs were 80 pounders and I couldn't pick them up even when my spine was good. The current pup is 25 pounds. I guess eventually I'll need to move to a chihuahua. I find it hard to imagine life without a dog. You can never exactly replace the ones you lost but that's not the point. The point is to keep sharing the companionship and love.

• When our family moved into our home we decided we wanted a large dog to protect our daughter and give her company. We waited another 2 years when our son was born before we found the perfect one. Tonka was 1/2 German shepherd and 1/2 chow. He looked like a huge black furry shepherd with pink and black tongue ...lol he grew up with my son and never had health issues until someone shot him and he lost use of hind leg. Vet said since nerve was destroyed he had no pain and because of size the left leg on to help with balance. He lived. Another 4 yrs and one day went to feed him and he could not stand. Vet said it was a tumor in spine where he was shot so we all surrounded him as he was put to sleep. It was horrible.

We waited and adopted a boxer/ pit bull mix and a pit/ terrier mix who are blithe getting up in age. Our terrier mix is on tramadol and steroids for arthritis and always sleeps in front of wood heater. About 9 yrs ago we went to shelter and a huge German shepherd with floppy ears came running up and was licking my son and we brought him home. He was purebred but they didn't want because of flopped ears. He was most protective loving dog to my kids but you had to call before coming to house because you couldn't get near kids and therefore young teens.:) He started losing weight and we had him back and forth to vet, tests ,xrays. Then one day I came home from work and son was digging a hole in my garden and crying. He ran into my arms and said Cakjun is gone. I bawled and bawled and so me and my son dug a 4 by 4 grave, wrapped him in his favorite blanket and buried him. Besides watching my mom. Pass in front of me nothing hurt as bad as digging that grave. My father-in-law came to help and my son would not let him. My poor son has buried 3 of his dogs in past 10 yrs and it is so hard. They were part of our family and I know day is coming soon when Samson will be leaving us but as long as meds help and he is comfortable he will be with us :)

Thank you Ron...this was an awesome post :)